Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

[Serious Discussion] Religion
(03-29-2011, 05:41 PM)Maddolis link Wrote: Doubt it all you want but I went to church for about 10 years of my life and never once heard any preaching of hell.

Indeed.

(03-29-2011, 04:29 PM)TwistedDemon link Wrote: Muslims actually have evidences that the Quran is the word of God

I'd also like to know what kind of evidence that is.
(03-29-2011, 05:40 PM)TwistedDemon link Wrote: don't call me "religious", don't mix Islam with Christianity or any other religion you might know.

Uhh...the term "religious" isn't restricted to Christianity. If you have strong faith in a religion, you're religious.
I'm not really gonna, because it would be offtopic and would lead to flaming / strong  critism.
I might later, we'll see how the discussion goes.
(03-29-2011, 05:41 PM)Maddolis link Wrote: Doubt it all you want but I went to church for about 10 years of my life and never once heard any preaching of hell.
I used to go to Church too and yes, they don't really speak about hell. They can't speak about whole Bible in 1.5 hours. Ask a priest if hell exists or no in Christianity.
I thought they didnt talk of hell in church because thats not why people go there, and talking about hell is unholy and is related to something very negative
oO?
I'm sure they believe in Hell aswell as Heaven when its so much talked about, specially in movies related to religion? xD
SUPERNATURAL ANY1???
The thing is that you can't take the bible literally word for word. You have to interpret it.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_in_Christian_beliefs#Nature_of_hell

Quote:Pope John Paul II stated that in speaking of hell as a place the Bible uses "a symbolic language", which "must be correctly interpreted … Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God"

Nobody in the Christian Church (atleast not Roman-Catholic) preaches about hell as a place of suffering and agony.
Well, I've heard that it's like a place or state of nothingness. You just don't exist, or something like that.

And Darius, you can get your house bombed for such posts.
(03-29-2011, 07:55 PM)durrrr link Wrote: Well, I've heard that it's like a place or state of nothingness. You just don't exist, or something like that.

I'm not sure about that. If you just follow Pope John Paul II's argumentation "hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God", wouldn't that basically mean that atheists are already living hell? Seeing as they separate themselves from religion and God. Any other opinions? I find this thought pretty interesting.
Can I ask about hell?)
So let's say there are mainly 2 different ways of describing hell, what hitman said of nonbelievers already living in hell and hell as a place in afterlife.
Now lets take the Hell in afterlife into account, does the bible or Quran say anything about things like The seven deadly sins, or The nine circles of hell?

"People who sinned but prayed for forgiveness before their deaths are found not in Hell but in Purgatory, where they labour to be free of their sins. Those in Hell are people who tried to justify their sins and are unrepentant." Is Purgatory in the bible?

Or doesnt the bible say anything about this at all, and if not, where does it come from?
Not to mention God sent Lucifer to Hell himself when he disobeyed, and I'm sure thats in the bible? no?
I dont really know what the bible want to tell u tbh. Is it all about how to be a good religious man or does it talk about things like angels, lucifer and other beings we hear alot about?
To bring up the situation with how the earth started, where we come from, who were the first civilians; in Philosophy i learned that sometimes questions are more important than answers. Besides, i never really gave a fuck about how the earth started. Worry about the future, not the past.