Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

[Serious Discussion] Religion
90 pages later and this topic is still going?! Religion on the internet - the endless discussion.

http://phasmatishaunt.com/wp-content/upl...ligion.jpg
What I don't seem to understand is how people are open to believe that one day God just existed but it's waaay over their head that something like the Big Bang just happened. How does that work? I mean if you can't even explain how God came about you should at least be open to the idea that other random things can happen just by pure chance.
someone answer me this burrito question  :(
(11-11-2012, 03:23 PM)ELABD link Wrote: well durrr
1st we are talking about the universe and most of it is non living . also the mobile is just an example. moreover the mobile is very simple in comparison to living things which r very complicated so how can human and things which are more complicated be made by chance while u r sure that a mobile can't be made by chance

Wrong, evolution isn't based on chance.
Read a biology textbook.

(11-11-2012, 03:23 PM)ELABD link Wrote: 2nd i don't agree with u that a galaxy just depends on graviry and even if it does  it needs something or special power to put em in there place which if it was changed just few  it may cause a big mess in the universe and may destroy it

Was that an argument?
If you're not a physics major or obviously haven't studied astronomy in the slightest, don't make an argument based on the topic. It just makes you look stupid.
Read a physics textbook.

(11-11-2012, 03:23 PM)ELABD link Wrote: At last and this is the important  point yeh god created every thing and every thing in the universe is ordered

Proof?

Seriously, I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your statements after reading that ridiculously ill-informed post. If you have zero knowledge on a subject and try to make an argument rather than humbly conceding "I don't know," then you make an ass out of yourself and devalue everything else you have to say to the point where it begs not to be read.

(11-13-2012, 01:11 PM)Silent_Bob link Wrote: What I don't seem to understand is how people are open to believe that one day God just existed but it's waaay over their head that something like the Big Bang just happened. How does that work? I mean if you can't even explain how God came about you should at least be open to the idea that other random things can happen just by pure chance.

Precisely.
First minute of this:
Carl Sagan on "God" and "gods"
Carl Sagan is an incredible man
Quote:@durrr
well for me nothing can be made by chance you know for me some scientists couldn't explain the creation of the universe (i know that they explain wat happened ) but they can't explain why so or wat was before and they also don't want to admit that there is a god  so they said this is made by "chance"

Scientists never said that they are able to explain everything. We don't have plausible theory for what happened before the Big Bang, or why it happened. I don't think you realize how hard it is to track something down that happened 13.7 billion years ago. If we don't have answers, we still shouldn't substitute anything that our simple minds can understand.

Quote:and wat if the ancient book which i am sure you don't know anything about it tells you scientific facts which were discovered after a thousand of years and the prophet Mohamed pbuh could't even write or read and he said this facts
for example: 1.It described the formation of the fetus in his mothers uters in details
2.it described that every thing in space moves in an orbit
3.it described that the sun moves in an orbit and in modern science they found that the sun orbits the center of the galaxy
4.It has something of the bigbang telling that the universe was like it was described in bigbang and god made it do the split or the explosion
5. It describes that the universe expands
6. It described that the earth is like hmm idk wat it is called in english but like it is known now while all the world though that earth was flat at that time

I would GLADLY read some quotes that support these statements. Please, cite from your holy book. I am nearly 100 per cent sure that the quotations you are going to give will have a lot of meanings, they won't be accurate nor direct.

Quote:all that and more from a book from 1000+ years that books teaches ppl good things anf tell them to build in the earth and develop it for me this is great and this  is never  against science absolutely it tells ppl to think and search in the universe doesn't this make you think that this book may be right and if you studied it you will be sure that it id right

It doesn't tell people to 'search'. As I said, it just gives a substitute for something we can't explain.
(11-13-2012, 04:59 PM)HaZe link Wrote: Carl Sagan is an incredible man

Carl Sagan - 'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking (Symphony of Science)
Religion is a disease, really. I've come to realize that early enough before it ruined my whole life. The world is recovering from this disease, but slowly, very slowly, might even take hundreds of years, kinda sad.

I know that because I know how hard it is for a religious person to leave something that he has cherished all his life. It took me 2 years to finally accept the truth... :/
It'll take far longer than a hundred years. It's sad really. All this imaginary crap should not be taught anywhere.
You don't even need science to not believe in it-- common sense worked very well with me when I was a kid.
(11-14-2012, 01:56 PM)Maka link Wrote: It'll take far longer than a hundred years. It's sad really. All this imaginary crap should not be taught anywhere.
You don't even need science to not believe in it-- common sense worked very well with me when I was a kid.

and the hot burrito dilemma?