Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

[Serious Discussion] Religion
(04-02-2012, 03:25 PM)Maka link Wrote: Well, us atheists think the same of any religion in general! :-)

Well, unless was born Atheist, any ex-(insert religion here) has probably spent plenty of their lives understanding religion.
(04-02-2012, 08:19 PM)M-Jeeli link Wrote: Well, unless was born Atheist, any ex-(insert religion here) has probably spent plenty of their lives understanding religion.

Actually, not quite. I've never really 'believed' the whole religion thing (there being a God and whatnot). I grew up with religion classes in primary school just like everyone else, but during secondary school we didn't even get "real religion" classes any more. It was always more about ways of living and cultures.
I'm quite sure I'm not the only one that never really believed in it. I know plenty of people I know in reality didn't.

But hey, to everyone his, right?
(04-02-2012, 09:12 PM)Maka link Wrote: Actually, not quite. I've never really 'believed' the whole religion thing (there being a God and whatnot). I grew up with religion classes in primary school just like everyone else, but during secondary school we didn't even get "real religion" classes any more. It was always more about ways of living and cultures.
I'm quite sure I'm not the only one that never really believed in it. I know plenty of people I know in reality didn't.

But hey, to everyone his, right?

I believe you mean "to each his own".

But yea, pretty much everyone I know doesn't believe in religion. Personally I grew up with two Catholic parents who were forced into being Catholics as kids and raised me and my siblings to believe in whatever we want and none of us are religious at all, we all think it's complete bullshit. I just hate when parents force their kids into something the kids doesn't want to do, I think they should be given a choice to believe in whatever the hell they want.
(04-02-2012, 09:16 PM)Silent_Bob link Wrote: I believe you mean "to each his own".

Quite so! My apologies, it's getting late.
I can understand it when it's hammered into a kid's mind at a young age (such as myself- though I didn't have any fear of hell or Creationism or whatever taught to me)- and I completely disapprove- however I won't understand people going from atheist to being religious as an adult unless they're particularly gullible.
Religion is fucked in the head and shouldn't excist in my opinion, I just do what I am happy with, I live a guilt free life, If I do something thats wrong I don't care I do the honest thing and tell it like it is.
(04-03-2012, 12:06 AM)Maddolis link Wrote: I can understand it when it's hammered into a kid's mind at a young age (such as myself- though I didn't have any fear of hell or Creationism or whatever taught to me)- and I completely disapprove- however I won't understand people going from atheist to being religious as an adult unless they're particularly gullible.

I've seen lots of Atheists who were born Muslim. Then after a few years of being Atheists they turned back to Islam.
Their main reason is probably psychological, they couldn't stand being unsure about the whole 'how we were created' thing and they were in such emotional pressure placed on them by religion on the other hand, so they just decided to stop thinking about it to kick any doubts popping into their heads.
(one of these people whom I know died in the Egyptian protests  ;()
(04-03-2012, 12:49 PM)M-Jeeli link Wrote: I've seen lots of Atheists who were born Muslim. Then after a few years of being Atheists they turned back to Islam.
Their main reason is probably psychological, they couldn't stand being unsure about the whole 'how we were created' thing and they were in such emotional pressure placed on them by religion on the other hand, so they just decided to stop thinking about it to kick any doubts popping into their heads.
(one of these people whom I know died in the Egyptian protests  ;()
R.I.P to your cobba thats seriously messed up. Theres many reasons people pick a religion I myself don't see the point.
(04-03-2012, 12:49 PM)M-Jeeli link Wrote: they couldn't stand being unsure about the whole 'how we were created' thing and they were in such emotional pressure placed on them by religion on the other hand, so they just decided to stop thinking about it to kick any doubts popping into their heads
Exactly, but then the question is, should one believe in God just for his own psychological safety? Just to believe in something?
Muslims tend to apply much more pressure on relatives to be Muslims. I wouldn't say that they're genuinely theistic, but merely saying so, so that they're not outcast from their family or friends.