Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Ideal programming language(s) for game development.
Python? Or Java maybe.
pascal
PAWN #1
Meh, nerd topic.

Get a life, morans.
I agree with what cake said. Depends what you mean with "game development". Do you want to develop your own 3D engine from scratch? Do you want to use OpenGL/DirectX? Do you want to make a "simple" 2D game?

I suggest you start off with a simple 2D game or so, almost any language will work for that. Choose whatever you're comfortable working in :).

If you want to take in 3D programming, then you can either use an existing engine (CryEngine/OpenGL/DirectX), or make your own from scratch. Either way it'd be a good thing to read up on how those engines work (internally as well).
hoogerbooger: "nerd topic"

sorry cant hear you over the sound of thousands of euros hitting my floor at the end of each month from programming
Piss off you bunch of greasy impotents haha.
LOL ur logic is as good as bale

(10-30-2013, 10:12 AM)Matthias link Wrote: I agree with what cake said. Depends what you mean with "game development". Do you want to develop your own 3D engine from scratch? Do you want to use OpenGL/DirectX? Do you want to make a "simple" 2D game?

I suggest you start off with a simple 2D game or so, almost any language will work for that. Choose whatever you're comfortable working in :).

If you want to take in 3D programming, then you can either use an existing engine (CryEngine/OpenGL/DirectX), or make your own from scratch. Either way it'd be a good thing to read up on how those engines work (internally as well).

Yea I've been thinking of diving into 3D games right away. I don't really have good knowledge about that, I actually thought it wouldn't be a problem as long as the 3D graphics are made separately in another software. My brother is really good at 3D modeling and animation as well as video and graphics editing, so I was thinking of using his skills while I only do the programming part.
I wasn't planning on making my own engine anytime soon o: I don't suppose it's something someone with basic knowledge like me would even consider lol, better use an existing one for a start.

But I think I'm skipping a few (if not a lot of) steps here, I'll take your advice and start with 2D games first.

PS: Just out of curiousity, Matthias, but which language did you begin with? And how many do you know right now?
(10-30-2013, 09:02 AM)Fuse link Wrote: PAWN #1

I'm assuming that was a joke, mild humor. however, you'd be quite surprised at what Pawn can actually create.