Las Venturas Playground
Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - Printable Version

+- Las Venturas Playground (https://forum.sa-mp.nl)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Technology (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. (/thread-31107.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - KaBooM - 10-27-2013

What would that be?

I somehow regained interest in programming, with even stronger passion. Maybe I lost the motivation at first because I lacked ideas and goals, but now I have some :D

Anyway, if I want to get into game development, which language should I focus on?

I know the basics of C, C++, and Python. Should I just focus on mastering these 3 or do I need to learn other languages too?

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - [SWK]Dacads - 10-27-2013

Get Unity3d it's a good game engine and works well with files from other software such as autodesk 3dsmax, photoshop etc

You can code in C#, Boo(Based on python) or UnityScript which I think is the same as javascript

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - KaBooM - 10-27-2013

So basically my C/C++ knowledge (which I'm actually currently focusing on the most) will be useless when dealing with Unity3D?

Was it a bad choice to learn them with game development goals in mind? .__.

Someone fetch me iou, Matthias, or any other programmers here x)

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - cake - 10-27-2013

Having C/C++ knowledge is NEVER a waste and will never be useless. The insight and experience gained with learning such a language is always useful and will definitely make it easier to understand other code languages. I think this pretty much goes for every language out there.

The thing about game development is not really the languages behind them; every geek with enough time and plenty of beer can get himself handy with all sorts of languages, stepping up to any random game company to show off what they've learned. Aside from that, there is no ideal programming language, and I doubt there will every be. There are so many people with so many tastes which results in loads of different language flavours.

If you want to get into game developement, you should get yourself familiar with the basics behind developing a game; the care and attention for detail. You can Google for "ideal game development language" and it will probably throw you billions of results of people all stating what language is the best and why. Sure, take a peek at it, see what you like and create something funny from it. The real ideal programming language is the one you like and makes you feel good. But the whole point behind game development is something much more; it's the creativity and passion.

That being said, my two cents: learn what like and produce what you imagine.

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - Shark - 10-27-2013

"every geek with enough time and plenty of beer"

beer

lol

fucking wannabe

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - cake - 10-28-2013

(10-27-2013, 11:01 PM)Shark link Wrote: "every geek with enough time and plenty of beer"

beer

lol

fucking wannabe
you caught me there :( have almost no time

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - KaBooM - 10-28-2013

I see.

Opinions really varied indeed when I googled that, that's why I made this topic in the first place. Most of the posts I found were 2011 or older so I thought I'd get new info from here.

Guess I'll continue with those, and move on to C# or Java next.

Thanks for the reply.

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - cake - 10-28-2013

(10-28-2013, 05:11 PM)KaBooM link Wrote: I see.

Opinions really varied indeed when I googled that, that's why I made this topic in the first place. Most of the posts I found were 2011 or older so I thought I'd get new info from here.

Guess I'll continue with those, and move on to C# or Java next.

Thanks for the reply.
And don't forget: never stop creating stuff :)

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - KaBooM - 10-29-2013

(10-28-2013, 06:57 PM)cake link Wrote: And don't forget: never stop creating stuff :)

Of course! :P

Re: Ideal programming language(s) for game development. - [SWK]Nemesis - 10-30-2013

I'm making an Android app for my final year of university, Java seems pretty awesome!