Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

[Serious Discussion] Religion
(04-05-2012, 01:17 PM)durrrrr link Wrote: It's not about believing in evolution. It's a fact. God isn't. And if scientists world-widely would state that God doesn't exist, that would be based with strong arguments.

Evolution is a fact. But can you prove that humans evolved from an ape-like creature? Actually, can you disprove that humans are children of a single ancestor?
It IS a matter of believing or disbelieving, my friend.

By the way, there's a question that I've been asked a lot lately and I think you can answer it durrrr: what is the probability for a single protein consisting of 3 polypeptides to evolve by chance given the known contents that form a protein?

(04-05-2012, 09:35 PM)M-Jeeli link Wrote: Evolution is a fact. But can you prove that humans evolved from an ape-like creature? Actually, can you disprove that humans are children of a single ancestor?
It IS a matter of believing or disbelieving, my friend.

By the way, there's a question that I've been asked a lot lately and I think you can answer it durrrr: what is the probability for a single protein consisting of 3 polypeptides to evolve by chance given the known contents that form a protein?
If evolution is a fact, that means that we evolved as well, which, logically thinking, leads us to a conclusion, that many many years ago we were different. And about the question, I am not a biologist nor do I possess the appropriate knowledge to even consider answering it.
Oh shutup and enjoy the funny pictures

[Image: jYtUX.jpg]

[Image: tMKPv.jpg]

http://i.imgur.com/86ZLX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pHx6z.png

(04-05-2012, 11:49 PM)durrrrr link Wrote: If evolution is a fact, that means that we evolved as well, which, logically thinking, leads us to a conclusion, that many many years ago we were different. And about the question, I am not a biologist nor do I possess the appropriate knowledge to even consider answering it.

We see evolution happening before our eyes to some extent, but we can't be so sure that humans and all livings did come to this state of complexity by mere chance, I don't think that would be logical thinking?

(04-06-2012, 12:10 AM)M-Jeeli link Wrote: We see evolution happening before our eyes to some extent, but we can't be so sure that humans and all livings did come to this state of complexity by mere chance, I don't think that would be logical thinking?

So it's better to believe that God made us? But a question no one seems to be able to answer me is how the hell did He come to be then? I mean if we can't just come to be on our own how the hell could He be able to do that?
(04-06-2012, 12:10 AM)M-Jeeli link Wrote: We see evolution happening before our eyes to some extent, but we can't be so sure that humans and all livings did come to this state of complexity by mere chance, I don't think that would be logical thinking?

But that's where so many of the evolution skeptics are so wrong, it's not all based on chance- only to a very small degree.

The Blind Watch Maker (1/5) - Richard Dawkins
This is worth a watch, it addresses this issue.

Besides I think having a 1.5% difference in DNA with that of chimps is fairly strong evidence that we've evolved from them, missing link or not.

(04-05-2012, 06:34 PM)Maka link Wrote: Man, I'm so over the whole 'trying to convince someone else' thing. It's a waste of time.
I tend to agree. I don't bother with Creationists because, unless they live in a third world country or under a rock, they would've heard the evidence for evolution (or at least disproving Creationism), so they've clearly turned their back to logic and reason- two of the more powerful methods of arguing for atheism. Reasonable arguments work for some (they worked for me), but there still needs to be a way to get to the smart people who had the misfortune of being indoctrinated as kids. It's hard to argue someone out of believing something that most or all of their loved ones believe anyway- and at this time, arguing with reason is often a waste of time as you said.
I do feel it necessary though, because so long as we have old, warped ideas along with the technology to commit planetary suicide, we'll be in danger of going extinct as a species.
I fully agree with your post. Unfortunately, the world is filled with idiots who aren't able to think for themselves.
What I also just can't put myself over is the dumb fact that Americans (well, at least what is seen in politics) always ramble on about religion too.
Just take a look at all of those speeches by presidential candidates. At least once they'll drop the whole God thing. I mean, that's not really helping now, is it?
When I look at politics over here in Europe, nothing like that is seen. I just don't quite understand it.
I don't know if Maddolis' video explains that, but I don't see anything wrong with coming to existence by chance. Universe is too large to even imagine. We just happened to evolve in an environment which has good conditions.
(04-06-2012, 10:01 AM)durrrrr link Wrote: I don't know if Maddolis' video explains that, but I don't see anything wrong with coming to existence by chance. Universe is too large to even imagine. We just happened to evolve in an environment which has good conditions.

Precisely. What seems like very slim odds here really aren't in the big scheme of things- there are more planets and stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on a beach, so as incredibly slim as some of these odds are (that, say, life would suddenly 'become'- not that evolution takes place, which relies less on chance), there is so much matter out there that it's bound to happen numerous times over.

(04-06-2012, 09:56 AM)Maka link Wrote: I fully agree with your post. Unfortunately, the world is filled with idiots who aren't able to think for themselves.
What I also just can't put myself over is the dumb fact that Americans (well, at least what is seen in politics) always ramble on about religion too.
Just take a look at all of those speeches by presidential candidates. At least once they'll drop the whole God thing. I mean, that's not really helping now, is it?
When I look at politics over here in Europe, nothing like that is seen. I just don't quite understand it.

Yes, I want to live in a world where political candidates for the most powerful job in the world don't get any more respect by starting a sentence with "well, as a Christian I believe..."
To me that's just saying "well, as somebody who believes whacky old unsubstantiated stories about physics-defying actions and questionable morals, I believe..."
I respect your right to believe whatever you believe, but keep it the hell out of politics, education and anything that actually has an effect on furthering the human race.
Exactly my thoughts. Oh, and I agree with what had been said above too, obviously.