Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Laptop CPU temps
wait for winter, it will be cold then it won't overheat  :P
No, I would also check if all of your fans are working properly. Just turn on your PC while your laptop is open up and you can clearly see if the fans are working or not. You can't be hit by current so don't worry.
(08-11-2018, 10:12 PM)Sleep Wrote: No, I would also check if all of your fans are working properly. Just turn on your PC while your laptop is open up and you can clearly see if the fans are working or not. You can't be hit by current so don't worry.

Did that as well. Plus, I can monitor fan speeds at any time.
Also depends on the room temperature aswell :p always try to keep your laptop/PC in the coldest room in your place. And preferably by a window or something so just incase it starts to overheat you can open your window right above it.
(08-12-2018, 01:58 AM)[SWK]Currode Wrote: Also depends on the room temperature aswell :p always try to keep your laptop/PC in the coldest room in your place. And preferably by a window or something so just incase it starts to overheat you can open your window right above it.
told him to wait for winter  :P
(08-12-2018, 12:09 AM)Beaner Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 10:12 PM)Sleep Wrote: No, I would also check if all of your fans are working properly. Just turn on your PC while your laptop is open up and you can clearly see if the fans are working or not. You can't be hit by current so don't worry.

Did that as well. Plus, I can monitor fan speeds at any time.

This is harsh. I would contact MSI about this problem and ask them what to do about this. These temperatures are not normal, even in summer. My CPU doesn't go over 80 degrees when I play demanding games. Contac the MSI and after that take it to the person that knows alot about fixing laptops. I don't have an other option.
Well, it seems like the stock thermal paste was of bad quality. I found plenty of posts on Tom's hardware where people talked about several manufactures doing this. Plus, there was way too much dried up paste on the heat sink and chips when I first took a look. Apart from that, I guess I did a sloppy replacement job by using an excessive amount of cheap paste.

Cleaned it all up today and used some CoolerMaster paste in what seems to be the accepted/recommended quantity according to several videos. The idle temps have been 43-48 on eco mode and 50-63 on high performance mode with some browsing and general tasks. CPU temps while playing GTA SA are 63-69 and occasionally go up to 73-75. Another old game like SA runs anywhere between 67-77. I can also make these temperatures drop by 3-4 degrees by slightly undervolting the CPU using Intel XTU without any noticeable performance loss. GPU temperature hasn't exceeded 65.

I'll post an update when I try a high end game. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
Don't do the undervolting thing now if it isn't necessary. And yes, never use cheap thermal pastes.
If you buy a cheap thermal paste, the temperatures are always going to be higher and you will have to replace the paste every 2-3 months.
When you buy a good and expensive thermal paste, you won't need to be do the repaste for a year or so.
Don't go for those "Diamond" in it pastes, just use ones within 8-15$ (eg - arctic silver)
Very higher quality pastes don't do much when considered on price to performance ratios, also if you could replace it with mercury (seen some reports)
Go for vaccum coolers insted of fans
Regulate AC temps or wait for winters
Clean off the dirt buildup on chips/fans
If lap doesn't lags up whilst temps are above 90-97, don't worry just use it anyway
Maybe open back lid/cover and place lap over a 2inch platform holding it from edges to ensure if air passage works
These all together might bring 17-10C reduction in temps
(08-22-2018, 04:00 AM)Dan Wrote: If lap doesn't lags up whilst temps are above 90-97, don't worry just use it anyway

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Anyway, I've solved the heating issues by disabling the turbo boost and slightly undervolting the processor (about 0.05 to 0.1 volts) while maintaining the same performance. This seems to be a common workaround according to the MSILaptops sub-reddit. Idle & gaming temperatures have dropped by 15-20 degrees by doing so; old games like SA:MP and Garry's mod run at about 60-65 (without max fan speeds) and Battlefield 1 runs under 75 with spikes to 77-78 sometimes. Since I don't play resource intensive games very often, the temperatures mostly remain between 48-68, which I think are normal. I still wish I could bring the idle temperatures down to the lower 40s or even 30s, though.