Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Laptop CPU temps
Do any of you own gaming laptops with 6th or 7th gen i7 processors? If so, what kind of games do you play and what are your average idle & gaming temperatures? I realized my laptop runs quite hot (90-95 degrees celsius) while gaming, and was wondering if I require an additional cooling pad.
(08-05-2018, 08:08 PM)Beaner Wrote: Do any of you own gaming laptops with 6th or 7th gen i7 processors? If so, what kind of games do you play and what are your average idle & gaming temperatures? I realized my laptop runs quite hot (90-95 degrees celsius) while gaming, and was wondering if I require an additional cooling pad.
Oh you've fallen into the trap , they usually put such great specs in laptops to increase their price however thats all wasted money. Your 600 € laptop would be nothing more than an i3 PC.
Laptop's in general shouldn't be used for such demanding tasks. They overheat, and to be honest the cooling pad won't help you much. Just get a PC which is ideal for these activities. 

From a personal view, I used to own a laptop it ran perfectly for 3 years (with the overheating issues) then required check-ups and fixes too often. The money for raising a laptop is too high. 

If you don't want a PC , sure try getting a cooling pad however it won't be of "that much" help.
(08-05-2018, 08:22 PM)Haunter Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 08:08 PM)Beaner Wrote: Do any of you own gaming laptops with 6th or 7th gen i7 processors? If so, what kind of games do you play and what are your average idle & gaming temperatures? I realized my laptop runs quite hot (90-95 degrees celsius) while gaming, and was wondering if I require an additional cooling pad.
Oh you've fallen into the trap , they usually put such great specs in laptops to increase their price however thats all wasted money. Your 600 € laptop would be nothing more than an i3 PC.
Laptop's in general shouldn't be used for such demanding tasks. They overheat, and to be honest the cooling pad won't help you much. Just get a PC which is ideal for these activities. 

From a personal view, I used to own a laptop it ran perfectly for 3 years (with the overheating issues) then required check-ups and fixes too often. The money for raising a laptop is too high. 

If you don't want a PC , sure try getting a cooling pad however it won't be of "that much" help.

I'm well aware that laptops always overheat while gaming, but the only reason I bought it is because I need something portable. I still use my PC for gaming, but need the laptop sometimes when I play Battlefield 1 since my PC is getting old now. I don't game on the laptop for hours at a stretch, though. I've had it for a year now, but this is the first time I cared to check the temperatures and was quite surprised.
Seems like I got a lucky hand with laptops..The one I got already runs more than 5 years now and it is used almost everyday for gaming without any issues. Well except the charger which got broken and replaced for 50€.
I brought a MSI laptop about 3-4 months ago,  it features i7 7th gen and GTX 1050ti. I play games from GTA San Andreas to far cry 5, so far the laptop hasn't given me any kind of trouble and the cpu temperature stays below 70 degrees Celsius while gaming (far cry 5 on medium to high settings) and 35-45 on normal use.
Hello Mr Beaner, I appreciate you commented on our forums. I had similar issue in past so this is what i did ------->
I had a laptop which was a decent one if not a gaming one. The specs were i5 6th gen, 8GB RAM DDR4, 2GB GFX manufactured by AMD and the card was inbuild on the chip.

Heating issues -
Laptop means a heater and it would heat up no matter how advanced it is.. Trust me 90-95C are common for laptops and if these figures were given on a desktop, one would freak out.
Best thing is to use a suction fan/ laptop vaccum cooler such as Opolar laptop cooler or cheaper alternatives.
Please don't ever use those cooling pads with fans on them, they just don't work much.. instead use a vaccum cooler (thats what they say lol, its a suction device and attaches to your laptop's heat output)

Problem vanished -
I couldn't take it anymore, although i had opolar device and it used to bring down the tempratures to 75C-85C (20-25C is max difference you will see)
so.. I built a 8th gen Desktop and i love it, believe me today i can't play on 60 FPS.. anything below 70 FPS it hurts. Also most of the laptops under 2000$ comes with 60Hz display which further narrows down capability to visualize higher frames. I would never recommend any laptop over a desktop, but again laptops do have their own feature and thats the portability.
(08-06-2018, 03:37 PM)Jibin Wrote: I brought a MSI laptop about 3-4 months ago,  it features i7 7th gen and GTX 1050ti. I play games from GTA San Andreas to far cry 5, so far the laptop hasn't given me any kind of trouble and the cpu temperature stays below 70 degrees Celsius while gaming (far cry 5 on medium to high settings) and 35-45 on normal use.

That just saddens me, because I have an MSI Apache Pro (GE62VR 7RF) with a 7700HQ and GTX 1060, and it heats up so much.
After undervolting the processor a little, I get normal idle temps (45-55) but games like BF1 still make the temperatures shoot up to 85-92.
It all depends on what laptop do you have and how much you payed for it. For example, I would never buy a Chinese & Japanese made laptops when you can always buy ones that are produced by USA which have better built quality and everything else related to laptops. That's why I always go with Dell and HP (although Dell is much better). For example, I have owned Dell Precision M6500 which costed around 3000€ at that time. The laptop is 10 years old and it is still perfectly working and some of my friends had to replace their PCs, while I was still having the same laptop without issues I just had to repaste it once in a while , so it's not always the case that PCs are always better than laptops in durability, and I played Mafia II on it. (but I'm not using it right now).

I currently own an HP Omen that includes i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, and it's working perfectly fine. I played Battlefield 1, CSGO, Fortnite, PUGB, all kinds of games on it that require high specs, but my temperatures never went over 85 degrees celsius.

In your case, Beaner, I would contact MSI about the problem and let them check it if it's still under warranty, because the laptop maybe has some built in issues. If you lost your warranty then you should take it to the person that knows how to fix laptops well (if you can't do it yourself).

If you can do it by yourself, and your warranty is off, just disassemble it, clean up the dust, and repaste the CPU and GPU.

And next time, go with Dell or HP gaming laptops, and no, it doesn't have to be an Alienware. Dell has some pretty good gaming laptops around 1000$ price.

Cheers.  d:)b
(08-06-2018, 07:19 PM)Sleep Wrote: If you can do it by yourself, and your warranty is off, just disassemble it, clean up the dust, and repaste the CPU and GPU.

I did that a few hours before posting this topic, but it didn't help at all.
The only reason I didn't go for Dell was because I couldn't find some of the specs I wanted at the time and MSI seemed to have it all.
You are getting 90-95 degrees celsius with or without MSI Cooler Boost?