Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

PSU problem
Alright, I bought this new psu; Corsair CX 430W PSU

And when I connected this shit and stripped it.. And tried to start it, this small sound came from the PSU.. Then it started to spark, and then I smelled this strange smell.. I tried to wait a bit, then tried to start up again.. Then it sparked as hell, and started to burn rofl!!!

Waited like 3weeks for it, now when I finally got it it's broken..

Now, is this a good PSU? They at the shop said it was a good one, and that I didn't need more than 430W since of the size of the pc or something.. Dunno, any suggestions what could cause it?

(I for god sake hope that nothing else got broken with the flames!!)
Rule 64 of computing:

If you smell a strange smell, see flames and/or sparks do not attempt to use or start your computer.
(11-26-2010, 03:52 PM)Jordi link Wrote: Rule 64 of computing:

If you smell a strange smell, see flames and/or sparks do not attempt to use or start your computer.
;(
That's a problem with the PSU. If its all connected properly then the PSU is faulty somehow. Take it back and demand a refund.

Tell them if it has damaged any other parts of your computer then they're in trouble.

Dunno what your computer spec is but it could be 430w isn't enough but it would have to be some hardcore electricity eating beast to make it do that.
Quote:DeathEater link=topic=27038.msg357243#msg357243 date=1290785516]
That's a problem with the PSU. If its all connected properly then the PSU is faulty somehow. Take it back and demand a refund.

Tell them if it has damaged any other parts of your computer then they're in trouble.

Dunno what your computer spec is but it could be 430w isn't enough but it would have to be some hardcore electricity eating beast to make it do that.
Yeah, everything was connect right. Yeah I called them straight after what happened, and they said I should come to them on Monday so they could have a look on it. -.- Of course they're in trouble if I bought something from them that destroyed something else in my computer, fucking shit.

I don't remember all of my computer spec on my desktop, but I remember a few of them:

3gb ram, Nvidia gt 8600, 3ghz(?)... Well..
Hmmm well i use 750w on my gaming pc and never had issues and I think on my other old computer  i have 450w PSU and thats nowhere near as good as your computer.

Corsair are good but I'd get at least a 500w psu just to be safe :/

And the make doesn't matter too much, all it does is supply power after all, just make sure its silenced or is known to be quite silent. And obviously preferally doesn't smoke and make sparks xD
Yeah, hahaha. Well, they said I didn't need more than 430W, and they said they'll order one with 430W instead of 750 or 730.. But since I didn't need more than 430W I spared some monies too.. Well.. I'll buy 730W if they can't fix this one..  :r
http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-500W-Computer-...1e5ff52302

Can find a cheap 500w anywhere for like 10-30$, should work fine with your rig
(11-26-2010, 05:37 PM)xBlueXFoxx link Wrote: http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-500W-Computer-...1e5ff52302

Can find a cheap 500w anywhere for like 10-30$, should work fine with your rig
Well, mine cost €30 (if 1€ = 10kr).. And from what I've heard it's a good one, that one at the picture looks shit.  :(
Just get any old cheap 500w psu. Idk where you can buy them where you live. Fuck corsair, waste of money, its just a PSU.