Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

CLASSIC HIP-HOP/UNDERGROUND/GRIME - NO REGGAE OR WEAK SHEEP SHIT
Lol this is why i dont get that many albums, really im against downloading even though i do it, and if i had the money to buy the album, i would buy every album i downloaded
(01-06-2010, 10:26 PM)Sean3 link Wrote: Lol this is why i dont get that many albums, really im against downloading even though i do it, and if i had the money to buy the album, i would buy every album i downloaded

Yeh, cause the new school rappers are pretty poor you know.

With the digital era buying music is fading away anyway and who gives a shit really, sales have always been an income for the labels not for the artists. This "buy the music to support the artist" bollocks is just a move to keep the labels and distributors getting their hands golden. Normally the artist just passes the copyrights to a label for an agreed sum of money with no percent from the sales, cause globally it's just too much hassle to keep track of it.

The money for an artist is in gigs and PR, not the actual sales, so if you wanna support the artist, go to the concert or add him/her to your friends on MySpace or something.

This goes to mainstream shit tho, in the underground scene things are a bit different (but not radically).
I agree with you, and if you noticed these new commercials, they all mention stuff like "DVD comes out Tuesday, available on DVD or Blu-ray or digitally download". I think this year there is going to be a big change in the industry, and sooner or later no one is going to buy any albums, only download. And as for underground, yeah it is different, i was thinking if the artist/group was really worth it, maybe a little donate STRAIGHT to the artist/group.
Sure piracy has struck the music industry with a massive blow, but the Internet has opened up a massive spectrum of opportunity that artists never had before.

With so many sites at their disposal, unsigned artists can promote themselves to the general public a lot easier than before.

For instance, if I had a great song, all I'd need to do was think up a little viral marketing and create a video on youtube. Obviously it'd take more than just posting the video, but even just doing that is way easier than having to physically take my material and promote it in person.

An example I'm regretting to have to resort to, is soulja boi. A seemingly unknown artist thinks up some dance and posts a video on youtube accompanied by a generic song that the less musically educated public will adapt to and he ranks up fame without even the slightest bit of effort.
T-Rock-Pull Up To Da Light

da kush is a fuckin great album btw, only one badass song of many.
A.L                        eMC                              People Under The Stairs
Afu-ra                    Eminem                        Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth   
Asheru                    Eric B & Rakim                Public Enemy
Atmosphere              The firm                        Punch N' Words
Az                          The Game                    Raekwon
Beanie Sigel              Gang Starr                    Redman
Big L                      Ghostface Killah              The Roots
Big Pun                    Gravediggaz                  Slick Rick
Bishop Lamont          GZA                            Smif-N-Wessun
Binary Star              Half-A-Mill                    A Tribe Called Quest
Black Star                Hell Razah                    Wordsworth
Black Thought          Hi-Tek                        2Pac
Blackroc                  Ice Cube                      Jadakiss
Blu                        Inspectah Deck
Cannibal Ox            Jay-Z
Cocoa Brovaz          Killah Priest
Cormega                Kool G Rap & DJ Polo
Cyne                      Metaphor The Great
Cypress Hill              Mobb Deep
D.I.T.C.                  Mos Def
Da Grassroots          N.W.A
De La Soul              NaS
DMX                      Naughty By Nature
Dr. Dre                    The Notorious B.I.G

Not that much, but they serve me well.

Gang Star - Militia
Did Notorious B.I.G die? If so, when? I can't be arsed to look for the answer, but I have seen the answer somewhere on the intrawebz. Just listening to one of his songs atm.
Yeah, he got shot & killed March 9th, 1997 .. around six months after Tupac "died".

You now made me very curious. :P Why was he shot?
Nobody knows, although theories suggest that it was some kind of payback .. I can't really explain it because unless you were into Hip-Hop in the 90's you don't know about the east coast/west coast beef .. but you can read about it .. anyways to summarize the basic point here, Tupac & Biggie were beefing .. and, then when Tupac got "killed" (I refuse to believe he is dead) everybody blamed Biggie because of this beef thing that was going on .. so when Biggie died some months later (it was a drive-by .. nobody ever got caught) theories came about that Tupac had somehow had Biggie killed, from beyond the grave .. or somebody did it for him .. it's hard to explain without you knowing the full story but that's the basic bare details lol