Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Upgrading My PC* | EDIT: Building PC - Help with parts.
This started of as a question, but i want to make this help to build my PC.
Just read through and you'll catch up.
Well, your PC needs DDR1 ram. From what i see, your mainboard has a second, currently empty ram slot.

The ram you linked wouldnt work, since that is DDR2 ram (and incredibly expensive too, lol).

To be honest, upgrading your system is like a waste of money, since all, your mainboard, videocard, ram, etc are outdated.

I think your videocard has an old  AGP slot, which means the newer graphics cards wont run on it, since they use the PCI-Express format.

Download the tool "GPU-Z" and start it, it will tell you if your card is AGP or PCI-E.

How much money do you want to spend? I suggest you to buy a new PC, since upgrading single parts of your old system wouldnt give a high speed boost, since all the components will limit each other.
Plus your site doesn't sell any DDR1 ram only DDR2 ram, but yeah, your computer isn't worth upgrading.

Although you can get a ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP edition same card that TRaven is using now, but theres no point in that since upgrading that computer will probably cost too much.

Building a new one is a much better idea.
Thanks, well. My gaming laptop runs all over this PC. I just wanted to see if it was worth it, but i can see its not. But im still going update RAM & GFX card, not alot of money. So you can lock this up.
I reccomend ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP edition graphic card and get a 1GB ram stick.
Tr1pin, after upgrading your P4 is still gonna be a HUGE bottleneck and even with an awesome 3850, you probably won't be able to play any modern games. CoD 4/5 will barely run and Crysis wont run at all. So to be able to use any of the power from the 3850, you will need to upgrade the CPU aswell. After upgrading the CPU, RAM and video card...your already going to be down a lot of money and all these new parts will not work in any new comp. Its really not worth investing in a dead format. You can easily build a pretty sick comp for around $500 USD.

Didnt notice that hitman said it too:
(05-08-2009, 01:30 PM)Hitman link Wrote: upgrading single parts of your old system wouldnt give a high speed boost, since all the components will limit each other.
3850 not 4850 @ cloakster, but yeah, its really not worth upgrading the computer, its better off starting from scratch and build a completly new one at a budget and it will still be even better than that computer you got there.
the pc looks really outdated as it still has DDR1 ram so imo nothing new will work on it. if you can get your motherboard's name and model we could look up a lot more information for you.
(05-08-2009, 04:29 PM)FarePak link Wrote: 3850 not 4850 @ cloakster

opps, lol...fixed.
You'll defiantly want to make a new build..It's pretty easy to learn and overall a great way to save money!I built a system not to long ago for $250,witch was a new case/with a power supply,dual core 2.0GHz cpu,DDR2 ram etc.Then i gave it to my neighbor lol and built a quad for $200 bucks..Take a look at this site its damn awesome with low prices for all your computer components:) http://www.newegg.com/
You could build a decent one for $200 if you were to re-use your current case and power supply,witch you can upgrade as money comes in.Well good luck to ya man :)

Edit:Here would be a decent setup just a suggestion,No its not all up to date but it would sure beat the heck out the system you got going now..It would also be beneficial down the road as for upgrading! http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealD...mbo.192782