Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Carring Handguns.

*If you don't read this entire thing, don't even respond.*

I know owning a handgun is strictly monitored in Canada, and I think they may be banned in the Netherlands, but not here in the US.

I always hear about people getting robbed from, assaulted, or even murdered. 90% of those situations could have been settled with out the victim being physically harmed if they were carrying a gun, and knew how to use it.

Sometimes, some places here in Alaska, it is required to carry a gun for protection from wildlife. That's just obvious. But my brother always carries a subcompact pistol, concealed. But this gun isn't for animals, because all 10mm of lead would do is piss a bear off. He carries for protection from fellow humans.

He's never had to use it, but last July it got close. We were camping in Seward (town about 290km south of me), where every July 4th, there's a huge race up the side of a 1km tall mountain and a '4th of July' Parade.

At our campsite, we had some rowdy, drunk neighbors. They were fighting amongst themselves, and with other campers around them (one of them eventually got knocked out cold). At about midnight, we asked them when the race was starting the next day. Immediately, someone (who was a self proclaimed kickboxing champion) from their group started walking over towards us, threatening our lives. All we did was ask them a simple question. It was obvious that this guy was on some form of steroids. My brother backed away slowly while the kick boxer was yelling "that's right, back the f*ck up!" [At the time, my bro was carrying his gun.] One of his fellow campers came over, and calmly convinced his friend to settle down, and go back to their own campsite.

Had his other friends been as aggressive and if my brother wasn't carrying a gun, he would be dead right now.
Had the aggressive kick boxer not have been stopped by his friend, he would be dead right now.

It goes to show you that there are circumstances that can exist that one would need a weapon to maintain the concept of self preservation.

Other situations that a gun may be necessary:
  • A bank or store robbery, where the police have no control over the situation, and the theives are threatening people's lives.
  • Someone breaking into your home, creating a threat towards your most loved.
  • You're out riding a bike, and a thief threatens you with a gun, trying to steal your bike ( this may not be as big as a deal for some, but I've invested over €1000 into my bike)
  • Your out walking in the city, and someone comes by with a gun, threatening to kill you.
  • Anything else, where the agressor has a weapon, and the police aren't readily available.

You may have heard of the recent university shootings. The most devistating was the Virginia Tech massacre.

"The Virginia Tech massacre was a school shooting consisting of two separate attacks approximately two hours apart on April 16, 2007, which took place on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) in Blacksburg, Virginia. The perpetrator, Seung-Hui Cho, killed 32 people and wounded many others before committing suicide. The massacre remains the deadliest shooting rampage by a single gunman in U.S. history, on or off a school campus."

If one of the professor's or even a student was carrying a gun, and knew how to use it, those 32 innocent people would have not been brutally murdered.

Of course, there was resistance, as stated in the article:
"Professor Liviu Librescu held the door of his classroom, room 204, shut while Cho attempted to enter it. Librescu was able to prevent the shooter from entering the classroom until most of his students escaped through the windows, but he died after being shot multiple times through the door. One student in his classroom was killed."

Had Librescu had a gun, neither he or the one student that got shot would be dead, and he would have saved 30 other lives.

The reason why no one had a gun, is because they were prohibited by campus polacy. This blatantly proves the fact that gun laws do not keep criminals from committing gun crimes. Some may say that gun laws that prevent the sale of guns to these kind of people help prevent crimes. Check out the Reason Magazine website that says otherwise. It states that "Restricting firearms has helped make England more crime-ridden than the U.S."

But they are new laws, right? Yeah, but do criminals follow laws? The only think gun laws do is keep guns out of the hands of people that use them legally.

The question:

What are the gun laws where you live, and what do you think about concealed carry, or even just carrying a gun around for protection?

*If you didn't read this entire thing, don't even respond.*
Where i live is chicago, Illinois.

All u need is to be of a certain age,and have a gun permit.

i think its gd to have a gun for protection.

Since i have one myself....

but yea ;D
I myself have a Glock 26, a subcompact 9mm pistol. Although I'm not old enough to carry it concealed, I can carry it in plane view on my hip with my parents' consent, and as long as I'm doing a lawful outdoor activity.
Nice, what i carry is a

Glock 17 9mm  :9~

But only rarely do i have it on me.

yeah i agree protection is necessary but USA has the most amount of gun related deaths in the world, by far. in fact about 12,000 people die per year from guns. when countries like canada, germany, australia, etc. are around 95-400.
(07-19-2008, 05:31 AM)HaZe link Wrote: yeah i agree protection is necessary but USA has the most amount of gun related deaths in the world, by far. in fact about 12,000 people die per year from guns. when countries like canada, germany, australia, etc. are around 95-400.

That is true, aswell.

So the topic could be 50/50
Mexico: no guns are alowed exept shotguns but most people have (9mm ak 47 etc)

but if u carry a gun everywhere and they see you police will stop you, you can do 2 things a)give cop money so he can seem like he didint saw anything b) get to jail for guns

actually more people  will choose a)

but here kids dont get guns that easily or use them easily, they have knifes, even though im not well informed i will check it out with my parents internet and ill post more.

Edit: also you can carry guns but you have to egiter them but most people dosent register them, and with all this narcos carring 50cal. miniguns r-15, they have all types
nvm
I'm happy with the law in Australia, where handguns are illegal.
There's less chance of some super pissed-off-for-no-good-reason/"hardcore" gangster 15 year old shooting you because you looked at him the wrong way.

Then again, I didn't read the whole thing ;)
(07-19-2008, 07:25 AM)Maddolis link Wrote: I'm happy with the law in Australia, where handguns are illegal.
There's less chance of some super pissed-off-for-no-good-reason/"hardcore" gangster 15 year old shooting you because you looked at him the wrong way.

Then again, I didn't read the whole thing ;)
basically he stated 5 situations when you would need a gun, a story of what would happen if his friend didnt have a gun, etc.

though you're not thinking of the multiple incidents where guns have been used for terrible things e.g. John F Kennedy's assassination, the Columbine High School Massacre, and more recently Virgina Tech.