Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Weight-Lifting
Often thought about some weight lifting. Many say bench pressing is a good weight lifting exercise. What do you guys think?
If you think the same, how much do you think I should be lifting at 120-130 lbs and around 5'9

Last time I did so I could only push about almost 100 tbh, being under 120 lbs and around 5'7.
What should I do/start at?
if you think you can get big just by bench pressing you're wrong. one exercise + same muscles being exercised will get you nowhere, maximum you'll have some muscles over trained and look retarded. cant give you proper detail cuz i stopped going to the gym around 3 years ago and i forgot most of it, all i can say you need a lot of researching before you start. maybe join a gym and ask a trainer there to give you a workout plan.

by the way, you shouldn't tell people you can beat em irl then post this.
(02-12-2014, 12:28 AM)Shark link Wrote: if you think you can get big just by bench pressing you're wrong. one exercise + same muscles being exercised will get you nowhere, maximum you'll have some muscles over trained and look retarded. cant give you proper detail cuz i stopped going to the gym around 3 years ago and i forgot most of it, all i can say you need a lot of researching before you start. maybe join a gym and ask a trainer there to give you a workout plan.

by the way, you shouldn't tell people you can beat em irl then post this.
You can get big by weight lifting but anyways, it doesn't matter if i'm not HUGE.. I'm still a good boxer and fighter on another note. Also, who would be dumb enough to say "yeah you'd beat me up irl".. We're on the computer, and chances are i'll never see you anyways so why care what I say no matter if you could or not.

BACK ON TOPIC.
Squat. If you want strength, squat.
(02-12-2014, 12:57 AM)Maddolis link Wrote: Squat. If you want strength, squat.

nope
(02-12-2014, 12:57 AM)Maddolis link Wrote: Squat. If you want strength, squat.
Seriously? :P
(02-12-2014, 01:04 AM)STyL4 link Wrote: nope
Explain why not please?
(02-12-2014, 01:04 AM)STyL4 link Wrote: nope

Shit, you're really gonna have to come up with some facts on this one because everyone that knows the smallest amount on lifting weights will tell you that the squat is the best exercise for building strength.

Quote:Joze link=topic=32750.msg452100#msg452100 date=1392163818]
Seriously? :P

Yeah, 100% serious. It's the best exercise you can do for building strength, followed by the deadlift.
Both are better than the bench for overall strength- and they would compliment boxing as they work on explosive strength due to training the Central Nervous System in such a manner that values short bursts of energy. If you were to do an experiment where you only squatted for the next 3 months, I'm sure you'd add some weight to your max bench as well, despite not working your triceps and chest. You'd probably find the bench more fun though, not to mention less tiring.
See if you can get in at least one day of squats/leg press per week.
Hell, just google "best exercise for building strength" or something similar and I'm sure most of the results will say "squat #1"
(02-12-2014, 01:33 AM)Maddolis link Wrote: Shit, you're really gonna have to come up with some facts on this one because everyone that knows the smallest amount on lifting weights will tell you that the squat is the best exercise for building strength.

Yeah, 100% serious. It's the best exercise you can do for building strength, followed by the deadlift.
Both are better than the bench for overall strength- and they would compliment boxing as they work on explosive strength due to training the Central Nervous System in such a manner that values short bursts of energy. If you were to do an experiment where you only squatted for the next 3 months, I'm sure you'd add some weight to your max bench as well, despite not working your triceps and chest. You'd probably find the bench more fun though, not to mention less tiring.
Hell, just google "best exercise for building strength" or something similar and I'm sure most of the results will say "squat #1"
Thanks Maddolis, finally someone who mans up and helps others with shit instead of saying something offtopic.
I'm gonna try doing that for a few months, if you're still around i'll bump this topic and definitely let you know. See if you can prove STyL4 there wrong.
I said that BENCH PRESSING, not that lift weighting didn't have results, at least read.

about the "beat me up irl" you said it to me in the server one time, so... yeah.

listen to maddolis
(02-12-2014, 02:09 AM)Shark link Wrote: I said that BENCH PRESSING, not that lift weighting didn't have results, at least read.

about the "beat me up irl" you said it to me in the server one time, so... yeah.

listen to maddolis
Already am, but thanks for the advice.

On another note, If anyone else has any input on this topic. Go on.

(02-12-2014, 01:33 AM)Maddolis link Wrote: Yeah, 100% serious. It's the best exercise you can do for building strength, followed by the deadlift.
700 lb deadlift at 18 years old and 230 lbs
Would you say that's a horrible form? I thought it was.. I mean besides the fact it's 700lbs.