Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

New Speakers
Hey, everyone reading this!  I am looking for some new stereo computer speakers.  I currently have a Logitech x-540, but have noticed that the sound quality has started to decrease.  So, I am looking at some new speakers:

The Audioengine A5, for $350

The Corsair SP2500, for $200

I use them for games, and music.  From what I understand, the limitation of the Audioengines is that they aren't very loud, and the corsairs do not have the same quality.  Any thoughts or other suggestions are appreciated

- no_one
For gaming, you probably want to get a good pair of headphones.
I have had a pair of speakers (the label says Labtec). I have had them for a good 6-7 years now and they're still going strong. I have never had a problem with them...I mean besides kicking the wire out of the back of the main speaker and having to go under my desk to sort it out.

They look like this:

http://www.guilio.com/img/bargain/Labtec%20speakers.jpg

Except the grey material covering the speakers don't look like that, they're just plain.

The site I got that picture from has this info:

Labtec LCS 1060 amplified stereo speakers.

5 watts RMS power output
    Microphone and headphone jacks
    Space saving design
    Variable volume,bass and treble controls

I don't know much about speakers though. If I can hear sound coming out of them, and loud enough, allows me to turn them off and on, lasts long enough and has volume control then that's good enough for me. And they do just that. I've never had a problem with them when it comes to games either.

It also has a socket for earphones or headphones which is a bonus.
Forget Labtec or Corsair.

Get Teufel or Edifier, pretty much the brands that offer you the best bang for the buck when it comes to 2.1 and 5.1 PC sound systems.
I bought a pair of Logitech Z623 speakers about 2 months ago. 200 watt sub, sound great. Link here.
(07-25-2011, 03:45 AM)Rien link Wrote: For gaming, you probably want to get a good pair of headphones.
I prefer using speakers over headphones, and I already have some decent headphones.  :)

(07-25-2011, 04:21 AM)Munch link Wrote: I don't know much about speakers though. If I can hear sound coming out of them, and loud enough, allows me to turn them off and on, lasts long enough and has volume control then that's good enough for me. And they do just that. I've never had a problem with them when it comes to games either.
Once you have stared using a higher quality speaker system for a while, you start to notice sound quality.  ;)

(07-25-2011, 02:03 PM)MacSto link Wrote: I bought a pair of Logitech Z623 speakers about 2 months ago. 200 watt sub, sound great. Link here.
This video compares the slightly older 4.1 version of that speaker to the audio engines.  Slight quality increase.  The Z623s are also 200W total, with a 130W sub.  The Audio engines are 100W total.  So these ones compare to the corsairs - louder, but less quality.  :D
(07-26-2011, 06:36 PM)no_one link Wrote: Once you have stared using a higher quality speaker system for a while, you start to notice sound quality.  ;)

Well I've never wanted a higher quality speaker system. The speakers I have work perfectly and they do a great job. And they have done for the past 6-7 years.

Why would I splash out on higher quality when my current system is more than suitable for me?

And "you start to notice sound quality"? I just wrote a review trying to say my speakers have good sound quality. I can't speak for most of Labtec's designs because I don't know much about them either, but the ones I have are great.
Munch the thing with audio systems is, you always think yours is great until you listen to a better one. Lets say, if you sell your Labtec and get a Teufel Surround, you'll be amazed. After a year or so, you'll start thinking about replacing the Teufel speakers with Bang & Olufsen. The standard your used to moves up.

If your used to top notch Klipsch or Bose earphones for your iPod, you'll find the usual 10€ Sony crap horrible. If you've only used the cheapest earphones you could find, even the 10€ Sony crap could sound great to your ears.

(07-26-2011, 11:02 PM)Hitman link Wrote: Munch the thing with audio systems is, you always think yours is great until you listen to a better one. Lets say, if you sell your Labtec and get a Teufel Surround, you'll be amazed. After a year or so, you'll start thinking about replacing the Teufel speakers with Bang & Olufsen. The standard your used to moves up.

If your used to top notch Klipsch or Bose earphones for your iPod, you'll find the usual 10€ Sony crap horrible. If you've only used the cheapest earphones you could find, even the 10€ Sony crap could sound great to your ears.
That sounds about right ;)  Just wanted to say that you Teufel doesn't retail in Canada or US
(07-26-2011, 11:02 PM)Hitman link Wrote: Munch the thing with audio systems is, you always think yours is great until you listen to a better one. Lets say, if you sell your Labtec and get a Teufel Surround, you'll be amazed. After a year or so, you'll start thinking about replacing the Teufel speakers with Bang & Olufsen. The standard your used to moves up.

Well like I keep saying I don't need anything better. The speakers can be pretty loud, and in my house and the area I live in, I wouldn't want much louder.
I don't just think the speakers I have are great because I haven't been introduced to a better make, I think they're great because...well I've explained twice already.

I mean what more do you want when it comes to sound other than being able to hear it? And loud? And smooth?

My speakers are great for listening to music and playing games. I don't have trouble hearing anything coming out of them and I can hear the sounds loud and smoothly. And on top of that they're 6-7 years old. Obviously they're dated now but I don't really care.

He asked for opinions on speakers, I gave a review of the speakers I have and was hoping to leave it at that. I don't want to be defending something I don't really care about.