Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Computer Troubles
Problem: Graphics card will randomly crash after successful start up
Temporary Solution: Unplug wi-fi card antenna no longer works

OK. So I am having a problem with my computer. Every now and then, the entire computer will freeze, and nothing on screen will respond. Ctrl+Alt+Del, or Ctrl+Shift+Esc do nothing. For some reason, if I unscrew the antenna from my wireless adapter, the computer will recover, and there will be an error message that the display driver stopped working, but recovered. I did overclock my GPU, but this was a long time ago. This problem happens at random time intervals, and seems to have no pattern. It has happened once while I was playing a game, but also happened many times just surfing the internet.

I updated my GPU driver, but the crash has still happened. So it seems like the possibilities are probablly GPU failure, Network Adapter Failure, PSU Failure. I have no spare parts that I can swap in, so I was wondering what's wrong. Also worth mentioning, I have RIVA tuner for better thermal management of the graphics card, and it never exceds 70 Celsius.

Asus P5K (no on-board graphics)
Intel e4800
BFG 8800 GTS OCed
8 GB misc. RAM
.5, 1, 1.5 TB HDD
Windows 7x64

Thank You for responses
no_one

NOTE:
DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter
ESET Smart Secure scan, found no problems.
Unscrewing the antenna makes it responsive? I would almost say it is some kind of short or something, but I am not too sure.
Looked inside the case a bit better, but still see no problems.  I was previously thinking of getting a new graphics card, so I may do that, and see if the problem is fixed.  I don't think the problem is the wireless card as this solution no longer works.  I noticed that card was a bit loose in the PCI slot, but the connection seemed fine.  :?
Try it without the wireless card for some time. I got problems and problems with different wireless cards in my dekstop. It got me freezing up windows quite a lot of times and guess what, it happened 90 percent during surfing on the internet.Now I got myself a nice cable trough my home. And never got any freeze up anymore. The problem seems to be in windows 7 64x in combination with wireless cards. The same problem occured in my gf's computer. After installing windows 7 32x the problem was fixed. Her computer didn't freeze up but the wireless card was a pain in the ass, but worked fine with windows 7 32x.

Seems like the exact same problem I had and I hope it will work for you!

Greets,

jerico
What I find odd, is that removing the antenna fixes the issue, because the wireless card is still in the PC and powered.
well if your  card is OCed and randomly crashes, reduce the OC :P
Removing the antenna could gave a drop to the signal the wireless card was recieving. I am almost sure this is the problem. He just describes the problem I had.

greets,

jerico

1. Remove the video card and gently clean the pins off with a dry rag or Q-tip, refit it.
2. Take note of the video driver software and driver version, what kind of card etc etc.
2.5. Uninstall the video driver completely, delete all folders where the driver existed. Then download the latest driver version. If all else fails, get an older driver version.
3. Your video card is overclocked, download rivertuner or any other overclocking software you're comfortable with and restore it to stock setting, to see if it solves the issue, as overclocking a video card by normal knowledge makes the video card unstable.
4. I've never owned an 8800, but if it's anything like the 9500gt, it has a 2pin power connection, possibly check and make sure those are hooked up accordingly to positive and negative, as they can be confused.
Quote:This problem happens at random time intervals, and seems to have no pattern. It has happened once while I was playing a game
Sounds like it could possibly be power supply failure, I just went through the same exact issue a 2 weeks ago, replaced my power supply and all fine. The 8800GTS is considered a "high end" model still, using 200w at load it may be the issue, can you please post the specs of your power supply?

My PSU is a 600w CoolerMaster.

As for the wireless card, that MAY be the problem, but at the current time, I don't have the 100ft of wire to get to the router.  I might just do this anyway, because I am slightly annoyed with my wireless internet.

And thankyou for your responses :)
I’m not sure where you live, but you can find some really cheap, and quality Cat5e/Cat6 cables at http://www.monoprice.com/