Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Extreme Metal
I've been out of the loop for a bit. Listened to the Unholy Ritual album finally (yeah, I hadn't even listened it yet when I posted it here- started but stopped when I had some company and basically forgot to listen it out) and also tried the rest of Wolfchant's albums (A Pagan Storm was the only one I had listened, and love), though unfortunately, the recordings are weak and the albums aren't as well as aforementioned one. Haven't looked into their 2011 release, I'll see what I'll do. Heading into known territory again; give me a great band to check out next Madd. I have a liking for somewhat everything musically you post.
Any style in particular?
My mate linked me up to this one last night:
Myrkgrav - Fela Etter'n Far
One-man blackened folk project, good stuff.

He also rec'd Akercocke's album, 'Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone,' an incredible progressive black/death album.
Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken (Part 1)

Probably already linked you at least one of the following, but very much worth checking out:
Mirrorthrone - A Scream To Express The Hate Of A Race
Windir - 1184 - Todeswalzer
Kiuas - And The North Star Cried

I listened to the entire Gernotshagen album- it was very good and I enjoyed it, though the track you linked earlier would be my favourite off the album. I'll give the Unholy Ritual album a listen some time soon as well, got a few albums to get through, but if I get through them I'll also check out some Wolfchant.
I assume you're familiar with Agalloch?
Also, what Moonsorrow albums have you listened to and what did you think of them?
Style remains kind of the same... Prog, death, black, power (or whatever great mixture there's in between).
I remember you've posted the Windir tune before, perhaps that is something I'll look into, though I'm quite sure that with time (rather busy this and next week) I'll look into the others you posted too.

I can't really pin who Agalloch are, so I doubt I'm familiar with them. That and I listened to every Moonsorrow album, not to mention they'll also be there next week. I'm leaving Monday night on Tuesday to get a good camping spot. It's going to be off the hook!
Ah man I'm fuckin jealous!
Summer Breeze?

Oh, Wacken. Nice.
You bet your ass it's nice, haha. I'll probably download one of the albums tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah try The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain for Agalloch.
I've got The Mantle and will listen it in a few hours or so. I finally gave Bolt Thrower's Those Once Loyal a spin too, great death metal album. I'll also get the Windir album soon.
Say, this album sounds rather great, though it's obviously slow paced, listening the second tune on it. Is that why it's labelled as 'atmospheric'? There's some terms I don't understand very well. What exactly makes music 'technical', for instance?

Conclusion: excellent album.
Yeah it's no wonder Agalloch are one of the more popular metal bands around right now.
Atmospheric stuff is generally more slow paced and reliant on the 'atmosphere' created rather than melodic lines and such. See Drudkh as an excellent example (the album Autumn Aurora being their best, highly recommended). Technical's a little trickier to define (especially compared to progressive)- I feel that tech-death bands have tricky stuff to perform (ie fast swept arpeggios or scale passages or whatever), but their music isn't progressive or out-there in terms of the song structures or perhaps time signatures as much. Thus a band like Fleshgod Apocalypse, Hour of Penance or whoever would be tech-death but not prog-death, yet a band like Atheist could be considered either. The whole subgenre debate somewhat comes down to opinion, but 'technical' music (most commonly seen in 'technical death metal') is generally faster and more active (or more 'technically' difficult), but not necessarily progressive.

Then you have bands like Windir where the atmosphere certainly plays a part, but they're not billed as "atmospheric black/folk metal" because the band doesn't rely on the atmosphere to carry them, rather it just contributes.
I guess I get it kinda. Great how you always have an explanation for everything. I'll probably get the Windir album tonight- haven't got anything to do anyway apart from packing.

Ketzer - Warlust

This is a band I'll also be checking out this week still. Album Satan's Boundaries Unchained.
WACKEN OPEN AIR. SEE YOU NEXT WEEK.