Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Poll: What do you prefer ? (both with equivalent config)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
An iMac
11.11%
2 11.11%
A homemade PC
88.89%
16 88.89%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Wanna know more bout' "homemade-PCs" ! [I know what to do now, thanks guys !]
(08-31-2009, 10:19 PM)Twilight link Wrote: (afaik you can't upgrade Mac systems either, but I'm not an expert :+ )

Mostly true. With the notebooks and iMacs you can only upgrade the memory, hard drive and optical drive. Anything normally soldered to the logic board is a no-go (this isn't isolated to Macs though).

On the other hand, the Mac Pro (usual desktop computer w/ monitor) is as upgradable as any desktop, granted you have for-Mac components to upgrade with. You don't have to buy these parts from Apple either; third party vendors do manufacture and sell them for 10% of what Apple does.
Most of your problems include games, which the Mac's OS cannot do unless its the Mac version of the game. Since you need Vista/7 to play these games then you are gonna run into the exact same problem as on your old computer. Also, atleast try Win 7 before you shell out the money for a Mac. And when your comparing the prices....you've already paid the 1250 for your comp, so its an extra 1900 for the Mac.

btw, what are your PC specs?

(08-31-2009, 10:17 PM)The_XXI link Wrote: Yeah, in fact it's all about money, my very first choice was a MacBook pro (june 2008) but I had only 1 500€ so I decided to save some of my money and take a HP...
If you actually cared about the money then you would have built your own comp :P
(08-31-2009, 09:56 PM)The_XXI link Wrote: I will explain...

1. Windows 7 defenitely works on BootCamp, XP too...

2. An iMac with Snow Leopard, an Intel core 2 duo 2.93 GHz, 2x 4Go RAM and 512 Mb video RAM on an Ati Raedon HD 4850 ***against my actual PC*** a f**king HP Pavilion with Vista, an Intel core 2 duo 2.10 GHz, 3Go RAM and 512 Mb on a Nvidia GeForce 8600M !!!

3. Installing Vista on BootCamp is pure shit !!! I can pooh on my future Mac if I install Vista on it !

Why do I only have to install Vista ?? Hey ^^ are you blocked on Vista ? I can install Windows 7 or XP on BootCamp  :D !! I'll never do the idiocy to install vista on Mac, where did you read that games only ran on Vista ?

(09-01-2009, 07:16 AM)cloakster link Wrote: If you actually cared about the money then you would have built your own comp :P

It's all about money but this time I have the possibility to do a borrowing to somebody of my family, and repay on many month (actually this person don't even want a complete repay, so I'll save some of my money ^^) ! ...And built my own computer should be nice but I don't want to have a PC by this way, I'm sure that I will be shitty on building my own computer...
You could install Win 7 or XP on your current comp :P
You also must consider that when you buy from Apple, part of the large expense is paying for unsurpassed customer service and warranty, and you only have to deal with one company (Hell, I even replaced my battery in my MBP 8 months after the warranty ran out). When you build your own computer, you have 10 different manufacturers and warranties to deal with. If you buy from Dell, Acer, Gateway, Asus, or most other popular computer companies you get really shit customer service.
True, but with the extra money you spend on a Mac, you can build a whole new PC.

In Canada, it costs $2650 for a 24" iMac with the 3Ghz C2D and a HD 4850. A similar spec'd PC would cost $900-950.

btw, Mac Pro's are extremely expensive since they use server processors and i think they are server computers.
I watched some topics and some stuff on different french website, and when I see all these products, I'm totally lost... I don't even know if I am able to build a computer alone, I mean, I'll see a topic on a forum who gonna help me to built it but if I do a mistake or something ?

I saw that a PC like the iMac I want should cost me between 600€ and 1 300€ so I'll learn more about building my own PC, tomorrow I'll call the LDLC team, a european pc's building service, but I really don't know what to take as brands, this or this, you know what I mean...

It's that with a Mac, I have all in one, the whole thing delivered at my home, I open the box, I push a button and that's it you see ! And Snow Leopard looks very very nice, and the iMac 24" is so sweet and looks so beautiful...

Thanks Cloakster, I don't know what to do now XD  _O- !

No but srly, thanks, now I know that there is another possibility you know, I were blocked on Mac and now I begin to open my mine on "homemade-PC" !

But tell me guys, all of you, what I have to do ? Is there some services who build your computer when you've choiced the components ? And which brands of components to choice ?
Cloakster can help you out with picking the right components for what you're interested in.  :)
Yeah, I begin to see that he was a guru in computing ^^ !

He even changed my mind on buying a Mac lol ^^ !
building your own pc is suprisingly easy, really. Easier than knowing which parts to actually buy, anyways :+