Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

A guide to using SAMI ( San Andreas mod Installer )
Ohai, for the benefit of Mafo, and anybody else who is somewhat uncertain on how to use SAMI, here is a simple guide for you.

Follow the steps and you'll have your mod's installed in no time at all.

Step 1 - The main screen

[Image: 8fdded562297539251cb39f4f8ea92ba6g.jpg]

When you first open SAMI, this is what you will see. At this point i have already downloaded a mod i wish to install, for this guide it is a vehicle mod, but this tool can be used for many things from car mods to clothes packs to building mods.

Click " Install a Mod " and we can move on to the next step.

Step 2 - Setting up for installation

First thing you need to do on first time use, is to press the " Detect " button. This will allow SAMI to check your drives and automatically find the folder where GTA SA is installed ( if it's in the default folder it will find it, if not press the " Browse " button and manually locate the folder where GTA SA is installed )

Okay, so now we have detected the folder where GTA SA is installed, we can move on to step 3.

Step 3 - Choosing the file for installation

[Image: f46d225e1b51932599afb78daa56da5c5g.jpg]

Okay, after detecting the installation folder in the first box, directly below is a second box.

Now, select a box depending on how you saved the mod you just downloaded. For example, if you saved the mod as it is in it's Zip format check the " Zip/RAR File " box. If you unzipped the mod after downloading it, you will need to check the " Folder " box on the right.

For this install, my mod was unzipped into a folder, so i select the " Folder " box.

[Image: 39be8cd23f10def06ccac02edd7387fe5g.jpg]

After this, click continue and a screen like the one shown below should pop up.

[Image: 8b03e63261d54e8143446a6ad8c6a32f5g.jpg]

Now browse for the mod and select it.

Step 4 - Backing up your files.

After finding your mod and selecting it, you'll return to this screen.

[Image: 93c239eb4b69fb2fa40aa15813e978075g.jpg]

Now this is the serious part, you MUST backup your files in case something terrible happens ( for example the mod you install is shit ) and you have to uninstall. Now don't worry, SAMI makes this easy.

To make sure your files are backed up, check the box that says " Backup files before installation " .. that's it ! Your files are backed up. Now for the next step !

Step 5 - Install process.

After step 4, click " Continue " and you'll find yourself at a screen like this.

[Image: baabe5356573c42836a4c316ef91b9f35g.jpg]

Now, this is the technical part, so listen up. IF your mod came with a readme, SAMI will try and install this information manually, if it comes up and say's " Custom line not found " Like in the picture, open the readme and copy them manually into the corresponding boxes.

If it didn't come with a readme, leave it as it is. Most of the time it will install okay, but just incase, read the readme.

These settings will affect what the car feels and looks like.

The 1st box will effect - The car's handling.
The 2nd box will effect - Wheel sizes, etc.
The 3rd box will effect - What colours the car will spawn with.

Step 6 - Choosing which car to replace. (if installing buildings or other things SAMI will skip this)

The next screen will look like this.

[Image: baabe5356573c42836a4c316ef91b9f35g.jpg]

In the first box, type a custom name for the car you want to install. This will actually name the backup folder that the backup files are in. So if i wanted to uninstall i would choose " Ohai Mafo " more on uninstalling later.

The second box chooses which car you want to replace with your mod.

It is HIGHLY recommended you leave it as it is, SAMI will choose the file automatically. However ... if you want to replace other cars, just choose a different one. But make sure it is the same type, for example do not replace a four door car with a two door car, etc.

Let's proceed.

Step 7 - Finalizing Install.

After step 6, click " Continue " . A few command line boxes will come up ... don't worry, that is SAMI working it's magic.

If your mod installed without problems you will see this screen.

[Image: 5ac4f85516a13e92e5fe4fe8b504dc545g.jpg]

And that's your mod installed. You should now press " Play San Andreas " and test your mod out to see if it works and that it doesn't crash game, etc.

If you find that there is infact problems, all you need to do is re-open SAMI. Instead of going to " Install a mod " go to " Uninstall a Mod ".

Click on the file you just installed ( the one you gave a custom name for ) for example mine was " Ohai Mafo "

[Image: d80edb36905ddb8f7a9cf334d9e148415g.jpg]

So i would click that and then i would click " Continue " and it will automatically uninstall

[Image: 717fd7bac5893b7fea6b28e59cfe9e995g.jpg]

Congratulations, you now ( hopefully) have experience using SAMI and can install many of fantastic mods for GTA SA.

Have fun!  :D

btw step 6 i think, its screenshot is way too small, other than that very good lol at the Ohai Mafo
(04-21-2009, 09:55 PM)weeyin link Wrote: btw step 6 i think, its screenshot is way too small, other than that very good lol at the Ohai Mafo

XDD Had to put my mark on it :D

Ahhh thanks, didn't notice that, must of forgot to resize :X

Will be fixed in 5

EDIT: Done ;)
Wow, thank for that. :+
(04-21-2009, 10:13 PM)Mafo link Wrote: Wow, thank for that. :+

Hey, no problem :D

I thought you could use some help as i know, from experience that re-installing the game from a failed mod is a nightmare _O-

Have fun dude :P
When I was extensively modding gta, I had a backup of a new unedited gta3.img file. Just replacing the modded one with a new one will make your game work again (but with a modded handling file, car colors file, ect.)
Nice work there Jerome :) Haven't seen you in-game at all man whats up with that?!
Nice point Mike ;)

Aaron, ive been working man xD And aint had much time for anything tbh :<
Indeed, Working > LVP

But some others with no life at all, will be thinking different bout that  8)7
Quote:Solid_Rock link=topic=18710.msg203269#msg203269 date=1240391881]
Indeed, Working > LVP

But some others with no life at all, will be thinking different bout that  8)7

Lulz, i praise my lunch breaks xD