Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

[sLK] - Slaughter Kidz
(01-22-2010, 07:32 PM)Carcass link Wrote:not folk metal but some damn good finnish melodic death metal  :7

I'm more of a prog/power dude (getting into more alternative too) but that's a sweet post.
(01-23-2010, 12:55 AM)Maddolis link Wrote:I'm more of a prog/power dude (getting into more alternative too) but that's a sweet post.
Prog/Power get old for me at times though, probably has something to do with the operatic vocals. I still love a lot of it though.

I love Between The Buried And Me... they dip into a lot of the technical metal, with screams and growls though. The lead singer is also a magnificent clean vocal singer too.

Between The Buried And Me - Obfuscation

Here's something I didn't see being done well by anyone... a cover of Queen's "Bicycle Race"

Between The Buried and Me - Bicycle Race
Pffffffff between the metalcore and me
Look from what I've heard I certainly wouldn't listen to them, but I'm not puking my guts out like I would with the vast majority of metalcore/nu metal/deathcore.

Growls and screams get old faster than clean vocals do for me.
Then again it depends on what bands you listen to.
(01-23-2010, 02:35 AM)Maddolis link Wrote:Pffffffff between the metalcore and me
Look from what I've heard I certainly wouldn't listen to them, but I'm not puking my guts out like I would with the vast majority of metalcore/nu metal/deathcore.

Growls and screams get old faster than clean vocals do for me.
Then again it depends on what bands you listen to.
They're one of the good metalcore bands, along with Converge and Botch, etc. Metalcore still doesn't feel like the correct thing to call them though after listening to their albums "Alaska" and "Colors". They're too experimental.

k maybe being a prog fan you'd know/like King Crimson?

One More Red Nightmare
I've heard that Botch are good, haven't listened to any though.
I know of King Crimson but haven't heard a great deal. I like the link though.
Well theres alot of different types of metalcore.
The oldschool type: Converge, Shai Hulud, Botch, Zao from the late 90s (You gotta be a hardcore punk fan to appreciate them)

The metalcore these days is mostly just rehashed melodic death metal riffs with breakdowns. There are some decent bands but the majority in this era are shit.

As for BTBAM, they're not strictly metalcore but thats their roots. They experiment with death metal, technical death metal, grindcore and progressive metal. Their Colors album reminds me alot of Dream Theater. So its really had to pin 1 genre on them.
(01-23-2010, 03:32 AM)Carcass link Wrote:As for BTBAM, they're not strictly metalcore but thats their roots. They experiment with death metal, technical death metal, grindcore and progressive metal. Their Colors album reminds me alot of Dream Theater. So its really had to pin 1 genre on them.
Yeah I feel I posted a poor example of their representation, as it's from their most recent album. It's still a great tune though. I'm sure it just didn't tickle Maddolis's fancy as he is a Prog/Power maniac :P

but lately I've been an Indie maniac.
onnnnn SUICIDE SILENCE - Bludgeoned (OFFICIAL VIDEO)  :P
(01-23-2010, 04:25 AM)HaZe link Wrote:Yeah I feel I posted a poor example of their representation, as it's from their most recent album. It's still a great tune though. I'm sure it just didn't tickle Maddolis's fancy as he is a Prog/Power maniac :P

but lately I've been an Indie maniac.
Well he shouldn't let the vocals turn him off about them because their guitar work is as good or better than most of the progressive metal I've heard. Although it is pretty heavy compared to just normal prog metal considering they throw in death metal and metalcore. You can even hear some pantera style groove metal on 'Ants of the sky' from Colors.  :D

I hope I can see them live one day and meet em.

But lately for me I've been into post-metal, post-rock like ISIS, Cult of luna, neurosis, oceansize. I love the atmospheric stuff
-> Andreea Banica Feat. Dony - Samba (Official HD Video)