Las Venturas Playground
Automated verification of pull requests - Printable Version

+- Las Venturas Playground (https://forum.sa-mp.nl)
+-- Forum: Main Talk (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Development (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Automated verification of pull requests (/thread-32677.html)

Automated verification of pull requests - Russell - 02-06-2016

Since the open sourcing of our gamemode last year, we've seen some very cool pull requests from many different people proposing changes to Las Venturas Playground.

As amazing as they are, neither Pawn nor JavaScript are always equally easy, and with about a hundred thousand lines of code it's not always straightfoward to judge the impact of your change at all. Or, at a slightly higher level— does the change compile at all?

In order to make this easier, we're working on a number of projects to make contributing to Las Venturas Playground easier. We've introduced a Code of Conduct that outlines how we'd like to be treated and still have plenty of other ideas on future improvements.

Today, we're introducing continuous integration testing for all pull requests.

What does this mean? Take a look at this pull request. While a more experienced developer will be able to judge that the minor changes will introduce some errors, we've now got an automated tool that will tell you exactly what is wrong with a pull request in case of issues.

This should make it a lot easier to propose changes, and will help us avoid breaking the server on unexpected issues while doing updates.

We'll do a broader post to announce the full suite of changes we have in mind soon. For now, please let me know if you have any further questions! :)

RE: Automated verification of pull requests - Jay - 02-06-2016

Nice work - I'm guessing you guys haven't bought a windows server :D was it difficult to get the PAWN compiler to run on linux?

EDIT: Just looking at some of the commits in GitHub, love how it went from "Initial commit" to "forum post announcement" in < 18 hours

RE: Automated verification of pull requests - Russell - 02-06-2016

Not at all, the Pawn implementation supports several platforms out of the box, most complication was in getting our own code to compile (given that we've modified the Pawn compiler quite a lot).

Thanks Jay :)

RE: Automated verification of pull requests - George - 02-07-2016

Awesome! Excellent work!

Now we won't have problems with JavaScript failing to compile due to a missing comer from some noob... 

* George looks at shoes  O+

RE: Automated verification of pull requests - Jerome - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 12:04 AM)Granny Wrote: Awesome! Excellent work!

Now we won't have problems with JavaScript failing to compile due to a missing comer from some noob... 

* Granny looks at shoes  O+

:X

I remember when I was coding, that was always the most fatal error, and it doesn't even throw up an error at the line you've missed does it? It just gives you the first 15 lines all fucked up haha. 

I feel a need to correct your "comer" to comma also, my bad.  :>