Las Venturas Playground
A new PC. - Printable Version

+- Las Venturas Playground (https://forum.sa-mp.nl)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Technology (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: A new PC. (/thread-21720.html)

Pages: 1 2

A new PC. - Darius - 11-28-2009

Hey everyone, I'm looking into getting a new PC for christmas.
I don't know if you guys have heard of a new game coming out, called All Points Bulletin, its a game alot like SA-MP. But higher graphics etc blablabla.

Now this game will require high-specs, but I don't know what stuff I will need lol. So could anyone tell me what stuff I'm going to need, and how much this will cost?

Re: A new PC. - cloakster - 11-28-2009

The game doesn't require much to run, so any $500 PC will do. But, if you can afford the spend more on a computer than it would make sense to.

Re: A new PC. - Munch - 11-29-2009

If you can I'd advise to try and build a computer that can easily run something out now so it'll last you a good while. I got my PC while a game called Gothic 3 was coming out and it's still going good and beating the recommended bit of games to this day (2 years on) and it costed me £600. So for example, Borderlands, try and get a PC to beat the recommended specs by flying colours then it'll last you a good while. The only thing I'm lacking there for the recommended specs is a 9 series Nvidia, I've got 8 series.

Borderlands (Minimum): 2.4 GHz CPU or equivalent processor, 1GB System Ram (2GB irequired with Vista), 8x or faster DVD drive, at least 8GB Hard Drive space, 256mb video card ram or better, sound card (Windows compatible sound card).

Borderlands (Recommended): 2.4 GHz CPU or equivalent processor, 2GB System Ram, 8x or faster DVD drive, atl least 8 GB Hard Drive space, 256 video ram or better, Geforce 9 series or higher/Radeon R700 series or better and a sound card compatible with your version of Windows.

So if you want a good gaming machine, then by going by the same approach I did (make Gothic 3 feel comfortable) then make them Recommended specs feel small...

(Am only usin Borderlands as an example, but with them specs it's a good example)

Re: A new PC. - Darius - 11-30-2009

hmm, well could someone give me some greater detail info?
Like how much the stuff would cost, where to buy it from etc. I've also heard that things that are cheaper can be overclocked so they are equivalent to the other stuff which costs more etc :p

The only thing i'm certain of getting atm is a 1.5TB hard drive :p

Re: A new PC. - Munch - 11-30-2009

I dunno about where you live but I go to the computer fairs, I use the site Abacus to see when and where they're up but for you it may be different, or perhaps not.

http://www.fairs.co.uk/  <<< Try that. (Not known as Abacus anymore)

Re: A new PC. - Darius - 11-30-2009

haha. I don't think that'd work. I'll be getting my new PC in like 2 weeks so I kinda need to make my mind up pretty fast about what i'm getting. D:

Re: A new PC. - Munch - 11-30-2009

In that case I can't really be of any help...and the only way you get a good machine within 2 weeks is if you buy a whole great pre-built computer, but that won't be as effective as if you build it from scratch.

And as far as I know the postmen finish for the Christmas holidays on the 18th until the new year so you'll end up waiting a while too if you order it online or something, and if they're the ones delivering it (though probably not, but the people delivering it may finish on the same day).

If you want a good deal then taking your time is the best way to go. If you rush it you may well end up an unhappy buyer.

Re: A new PC. - Hitman - 11-30-2009

Id would help if you would just tell us how many cash you wanna spend, so we pick the best parts you can get for your moneyz  :)

Re: A new PC. - Darius - 12-01-2009

Okay, the maximum budget is around £500. It can be stretched a little though I think. Also, I've got an article on 'How to build a killer DX10 PC for only £586' from PCGamer. The thing is, this article is from November 2007. So things may be cheaper etc since then. And also, in the article they buy less new graphics card etc, because they can simply overclock them, making them just as good as the newer models but saving a few hundred pounds. The thing is, this is all explained and shown how to be done in the next magazine, which I don't have :P.

I'll list the components the article tells you to buy :P :
Motherboard ASUS P5B (£65.08)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6 (£103.11)
Memory OCZ PC6400 800MHZ 5-5-5-12 (£65.54)
3D Card XFX GeForce 8800GTS (£181.13)
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200;10 (£63.98)
DVD-RW NEC AD-7170A-0B Multiwriter Black A8X DVD RW (£19.35)
Chassis Antec NSK6000 (£37.51)
PSU EZ-COOL PS900 Tornado 700W (£40.89)

Thats what the article says to buy, but do any of you have any better advice for me? Such as components to buy, price, where to buy, etc. Any help would be appreciated :)

Re: A new PC. - Hitman - 12-01-2009

Sure :P

500 your money should be around ~550€, ill post a hardware combination for that budget tomorrow :P (today i aint got much time left)

you might want to have a look at my thread about PCs for every budget in the meanwhile  tho :P