Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

a constant annoyance
hey so it's quite annoying how you go to kill some players who seem to be admins and you cannot. This is due to the use of their godmode, for example, [V]Deer_Hunter today killed me, I caught up to him, he was exporting cars, he exported the car, and I DBed him, the armour was gone, poof, but his health wouldn't go down, and this is when I realised he had godmode enabled. [V]Deer_Hunter replied that he wasn't shooting me and therefore it's not abuse, but can I just request that Admins only use this godmode when ACTUALLY doing something related to admin matters? For example, testing bugs, new features or resolving issues with players. This whole "we're just freeroaming" thing isn't really acceptable as you're still making yourself a target for players and it's frustrating to be quite honest.
I don't feel like running around and shooting all the time, what's wrong about it? Yes I was freeroaming and you'll have to accept that, I didnt abuse my god mode in any way, and the main reason why I had it on is that my pockets were full of cash made by using an admin cmd. I was testing something actually, for my own purposes, so I didn't want someone to get hunderds of millions that I didnt actually earn.

U may find this annoying, but we sometimes need a break, or we just aren't interested in DM-ing at the time, or w/e..

As long as I don't abuse it against you, I don't think anything should change. We could duel couple rounds or something, but right now I find no interest in chasing/dbi-ing with you all around the map, cos I see this pretty much the same way you do, annoying.
And ofcourse I don't play full time with gm on, you will have time for ur revenge kill or w/e.
I understand where you're coming from but:
1. I don't want to duel, I enjoy my dirty DBing tactic
2. You started a fight by killing me first, and then godmoding when I came back to slice you
3. Even I love freeroaming in my Hydra, pretty much most of the time, I don't get a godmode though, do I?
4. Don't spawn hundreds of millions, or if you do, atleast take it into the special virtual world for Admins, no?

Cheers.
In principle I agree that usage of god-mode should be limited to administrative duties where possible. This is not something players can do, and for quite a number of them a break from fighting would be a welcome change. However, this would be far too easy for an answer.

In this case, Huracan tried to fight Deer_Hunter one minute after they were killed, which makes it very difficult for any player to identify the difference between "interested in fighting" and "having a break".

Given this, I think it's reasonable to request administrators to be conscious about this— look at the situation from the player's perspective: is it clear enough that you are taking a break?

However, I think there are a few other perspectives we have to consider here. For example, someone who comes by and kills you from a vehicle can be quite a nuisance from the perspective of a non-fighting player. It brutally interrupts whatever else you were doing. This, unfortunately, is inherent to the concept of a freeroam server such as ours.

The second perspective to consider is that of administrators. Beyond their duties, they stand out front and center from the other players, are knowledgeable, well known and tend to communicate more. It is very difficult for them to take a break regardless of what they are doing because there is a near-constant flow of events going on around them.

Deer_Hunter has got the worst of both worlds here: he's a well known administrator and a well known fighter.

To concisely write out my position:
  • Administrators should be aware of god-mode giving them an unfair advantage.
    I'm not saying that they shouldn't use god-mode for their own benefit at all, just that they try to limit use to situations where it's clear that they are taking a break. In addition, they can compensate by being generous in granting god-mode to players who request it for honest purposes, which, according to Mr.JT, does occasionally happen already.

• Players should be aware that the stress on administrators is high.
    Sometimes they just need a break and it is not reasonable to ask them to change accounts each time. (We know that them temporarily removing their rights does not portray a clear enough message to users.) Let's try to be considerate to each other, and appreciate the work they do for Las Venturas Playground.
Specifically in regards to this complaint, I would like to ask Deer_Hunter to consider whether it's clear to players when he's on a break, and perhaps make a brief announcement in chat when he does. I do not feel further action or new policies are necessary beyond that.

Gentlemen, does this resolution work for both of you?

Mr.JT: Thank you for your addition! I have removed your post and summarized your points in mine. I would like to avoid turning complaints into administrators vs. players debates.
I'll be aware of that next time, ty Russell.
Yeah, crystal clear, cheers Russell, didn't want this to end badly for Deer, just wanted to clarify and remedy the situation before it progressed into something worse.
Once again, thank you [V]Deer_Hunter for your understanding and Russell, for your wonderful, detailed yet unbiased response :P