Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Rethinking teleportation on LVP
We're thinking about how we could improve teleportation on Las Venturas Playground. Right now a user can use /taxi, /tp, /mtp, /ctp and whatever more, with a lot of associated features such as making it impossible for other people (except for administrators) from teleporting to you.

The idea I'm having is to drop the current commands and menus. We'll introduce a single command, /teleport (or /tp for short). This would not allow you to teleport to any other player anymore, but would instead show a map[1] with locations that the player can teleport to. Everyone starts with a single location -- the pirate ship, and can spend in-game money to make it possible to teleport to other places. Teleporting to one of these places would cost a small amount of money relative to the distance. There wouldn't be a delay, but we would stop people from teleporting if they potentially are in or near a fight.

An obvious downside of this is that it could promote camping. Furthermore, teleporting to a certain player wouldn't be possible anymore, instead, you'd actually have to travel to each other. We could introduce four strategic points in Las Venturas which are available to everyone to compensate for this. When you're in a car, the car would teleport with you.

What are your opinions about this?

[1] We can show a player textdraw with the "samaps:map" texture on a black background and then place icons and names over it showing the places a player can teleport to. Using OnPlayerClickPlayerTextDraw to capture where they clicked.
Admin-only teleports would also show up, but either with a different color or with a different icon. For VIP members, we could make teleportation either significantly cheaper, or free.
Good idea, make it work. It's really gay if folks tp right back to you after you waste them.

And make the tp locations away from the most popular fighting zones (like gang base etc.).
Thats downright stupid.
(12-14-2012, 07:04 PM)0Target0 link Wrote: Thats downright stupid.
Why?
This sucks lol..

However makes teleporting to props and bombshop easier :+

Just become VIP if you don't want people to teleport to you anyway
(12-14-2012, 08:52 PM)MacSto link Wrote: Why?

Ever since I started playing on LVP there was this command /tp and /taxi, which allowed you to directly teleport to a player or to go to a location. It is clear for everyone what this command does and what the restrictions are. It would be utter madness to change one of the most fundamental commands of this server. We have learned to live with these commands, it's convenient, simple and straightforward. Introducing maps to teleport to places NEAR a player is not convenient or simple.

I, as a player of LVP, have the choice to allow tp's to me or not, I would like to keep that choice. After 5 years of using the commands, we don't need new commands which are less convenient than the current ones.

In my honest opinion, after all these years of perfect service, there is no real motivation to change thes commands.

I fully agree with target.
I agree with Russel that the idea behind teleportation to another player is flawed, the main -benefit- is for death matchers to quickly move in for a kill. The system suggested improves this by allowing players to only magically move to a certain set of locations which can be unlocked with ingame cash (more ways to spend money, yey).

Direct teleportation ruins gameplay for new players that don't know how to evade an attack and it completely levels their chance to be attacked compared to those players that are closer to the one teleporting. Increasing your distance to possible threats doesn't increase your chances of survival, that makes no sense.

I understand that this approach makes is somewhat difficulter to meet up with other people but since there will be an abundance of locations one could teleport to I don't see anyone spending more then a minute more to meet up and it also increases the activity around these locations and I don't see that being a bad thing.
The main benefit of tp is that you can teleport to other players. I use it alot to teleport to friends to show them locations or just to play with them. Yes, occasionally it is used to tp to other players to deathmatch. I don't think this affects new players. You can only teleport every 3 minutes so its not like you can abuse it over and over and kill them every second.

If you really want to protect new players give them more money and spawn weapons, as this is the largest barrier for new players rather than people teleporting to kill them. Next to that, you have to go on a website to register on the server, while other servers you just have to type /register password etc...

People REALLY have to be motivated in the first minutes to keep playing on this server to actually go to a website and register.

Anyways, changing /tp will be really bad for the server. It's a standard command that has worked flawlessly for years and now you will replace it for the sake of 'new players', thats just absolute bullshit.