Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

/modlogin
Good Afternoon!

So I was just in-game with Lithirm, both of us /modlogged in. Lithirm /watch'ed someone and I tried to teleport to him it said I can't because this player is currently undergoing admin duties. Is it possible to exchange this message with 'This player is currently paused' when undercover?

Cheers! :w
Then your name would have to be made black as well.

Good way to hide it though. Just say brb when you watch someone! But it is very visible if you get back from being paused right when someone gets banned :+
But that's as much a problem as it is now. Just be smart about it.
The same is true with /locate, it returns 'The player is at an unknown location'. This is used by some clever players to find undercover crew.
I'll open a ticket and we'll see how soon is it fixed.
Instead of making it look like we're paused, why not fake a minigame message instead? That should do the trick.

(11-01-2012, 12:44 PM)oostcoast link Wrote: The same is true with /locate, it returns 'The player is at an unknown location'. This is used by some clever players to find undercover crew.
I'll open a ticket and we'll see how soon is it fixed.

Yeah, that message can always blow our cover since it's only displayed like that when someone's spectating. "This player is at an unknown locationThis player is in the main world" (Notice the missing space between "location" and "This").

Here is my proposed solution to this. It has it's drawbacks, maybe someone else knows how to make it better;

When you are undercover and watching a player, chances are you have joined with a noob-like name, or at least an unregistered one. And what do noobs do best? Stand in random places afk, right?

So, we mark a handful (10 or so) coordinates in the usual spots of afk-ness... on the ship, by the escalators, in the streets of LV, etc.

When an undercover uses /watch, their character is placed standing at one of these spots randomly. Now, we are undercover watching a player with our hax, and our character is standing in the middle of some street. If a player teleports to us, they teleport to our character who is just standing in the street. If they shoot at us, we take no damage. Just as if we alt+tabbed or something. Also using /locate will show the location of the character.

I don't know the proper method of going about that, whether or not it creates some temporary NPC with the undercover user's skin, or whatever, but I think that it can certainly be done, and would be quite effective for being sneaky.
(11-07-2012, 06:20 AM)MacSto link Wrote: Here is my proposed solution to this. It has it's drawbacks, maybe someone else knows how to make it better;

When you are undercover and watching a player, chances are you have joined with a noob-like name, or at least an unregistered one. And what do noobs do best? Stand in random places afk, right?

So, we mark a handful (10 or so) coordinates in the usual spots of afk-ness... on the ship, by the escalators, in the streets of LV, etc.

When an undercover uses /watch, their character is placed standing at one of these spots randomly. Now, we are undercover watching a player with our hax, and our character is standing in the middle of some street. If a player teleports to us, they teleport to our character who is just standing in the street. If they shoot at us, we take no damage. Just as if we alt+tabbed or something. Also using /locate will show the location of the character.

I don't know the proper method of going about that, whether or not it creates some temporary NPC with the undercover user's skin, or whatever, but I think that it can certainly be done, and would be quite effective for being sneaky.

One major drawback I forsee is that keen players may be onto us after a while. They will remember what spots the bots usually stand on.
A ton of locations will fix that. You can use a lot of places. You can have lots on the strip and near spawnplaces. I doubt anyone would connect that.
It's not worth the hassle, and it wouldn't work anyways, because there are several ways you can tell whether a character is a NPC or an actual player. A quick fix to /locate is enough, unless there are other ways to spot an undercover administrator.
The remaining issue is trying to /tp to an undercover admin who is watching a player. It says they are currently undergoing admin duties or something to that effect. So, anything we replace this with will be easy enough to catch onto overtime.
Maybe we could disable teleporting to afk players and pretend undercover administrators are paused. I don't really remember how we deal with paused players right now, though.