Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Possible solution to vr / flip in the main world
(11-22-2011, 01:04 AM)MacSto link Wrote: This should include a textdraw for admins showing the player is in a no-damage zone while /watch'ing them. I see lots of accidental bans!

Exactly. Granted access, therefore the player must ask for rights to /vr and /flip..
(11-22-2011, 08:14 AM)Tpimp link Wrote: Exactly. Granted access, therefore the player must ask for rights to /vr and /flip..

I don't think that would work out well since not every newbie that joins the server would be aware of that. Most of them don't even speak English.
What MacSto suggested is similar to a message displayed while spectating a player if he/she is in a map zone. It's for their convenience, not ours.

EDIT: I just tried this out and it seems good but can be easily abused.
A player with low health during a fight can get into a vehicle, drive to the no-damage zone (without having any of his tires popped) and then he's free to refill his health/armor after escaping. This makes it hard for the opponents to even chase him. What is going to be done about this?
(11-22-2011, 10:49 AM)Beaner link Wrote: A player with low health during a fight can get into a vehicle, drive to the no-damage zone (without having any of his tires popped) and then he's free to refill his health/armor after escaping. This makes it hard for the opponents to even chase him. What is going to be done about this?
Maybe if the player has been recently in a fight (i.e if the player did use a weapon or get shot), the next few seconds, no matter where he is, his vehicle won't be repaired / will keep loose health normally. Even though you can get shot (accidentally or not) and still not be participating in a fight. Perhaps it would be better if it was disabled only if the player used a weapon.

Edit: ^this should also apply to the drivers who try to drive-by.
(11-22-2011, 12:57 AM)Jay link Wrote: I've also fixed the crash bug :P
Cool, everyone's going to get sick then. >:D

If you're reading this and did not understand, check out the crazy tunnels that have been added to the main world, there will be more coming soon. :p

OH crap! I didn't mean to double-post /o\ merge it please.
(11-22-2011, 11:32 AM)Pedro link Wrote: Maybe if the player has been recently in a fight (i.e if the player did use a weapon or get shot), the next few seconds, no matter where he is, his vehicle won't be repaired / will keep loose health normally. Even though you can get shot (accidentally or not) and still not be participating in a fight. Perhaps it would be better if it was disabled only if the player used a weapon.

Edit: ^this should also apply to the drivers who try to drive-by.

Those few seconds would be spent in escaping from the damage-prone zone (The Strip or Prickle Pine, as shown in the map). It's still the same situation when the player moves out of it.
However, your idea might work if a player indulges in a fight outside the damage-prone zones (Example: LV Airport) and then tries to escape in a vehicle.
After thinking about this a bit more, I'm still very cautious about whether we should ship with this. Maybe this should be brought up with the crew. I think it would be a lot better to allow admins to toggle vehicle invincibility for individual players and see how that works out, as this is going to be (a) abused, (b) confusing for admins and © highly confusing for players, as it modifies a very basic gameplay constraint.
(11-22-2011, 04:31 PM)Russell link Wrote: After thinking about this a bit more, I'm still very cautious about whether we should ship with this. Maybe this should be brought up with the crew. I think it would be a lot better to allow admins to toggle vehicle invincibility for individual players and see how that works out, as this is going to be (a) abused, (b) confusing for admins and © highly confusing for players, as it modifies a very basic gameplay constraint.
That's why I suggested the text-draws, It could still be abused though, this is not an easy subject...

Servers that have a truly high player count are either RP or Stunt style, and all of them (the stunt ones) offer to the player a bunch of cheats. Things that "noobs" actually enjoy. The reality is that something has to be done. It's obvious that it won't be improving the DMing features that LVP will bring back the player-count.

I am not suggesting to have cars flying around Las Venturas or even to give to the players god-mod, but having all the stunt maps and don't allow players to repair their vehicles at all, will be really bad. The competition between popular servers is very big. Right now LVP has improved a lot and if this version succeeds (which I'm convict it will), it won't be only because of the stunt features. But I am sure it will give a great help to increase the popularity of LVP.

When LVP 2.94 started being developed I had suggested to have a second world. Basically the first world, the called 'main world' would have the normal LVP gamemode, while this new second world would contain all the stunt material and it would facilitate these kind of issues. Then this has never really been done because as BlueFox said, it would separate too much the players and I completely agreed.

It will be hard to mix the 'DM'ers and 'Stunters' in the same place.

As I said before, something has to be done. :P
(11-22-2011, 10:49 AM)Beaner link Wrote: I don't think that would work out well since not every newbie that joins the server would be aware of that. Most of them don't even speak English.
What MacSto suggested is similar to a message displayed while spectating a player if he/she is in a map zone. It's for their convenience, not ours.

EDIT: I just tried this out and it seems good but can be easily abused.
A player with low health during a fight can get into a vehicle, drive to the no-damage zone (without having any of his tires popped) and then he's free to refill his health/armor after escaping. This makes it hard for the opponents to even chase him. What is going to be done about this?

Thats why we have admins and wonderful players to inform new players of these updates. Duhh!! Oh and most of the LVP's crew, english isnt their first language, so what?
Jay: your fix tries to isolate the DM'ers from the stunters but keeps them on the same map. As we all know when the server is busy people like to fight wherever there are also pursuit people onto the ap. I don't think it would work, and it wil cause a lot of moan for sure.

I am still convinced that we need to isolate the DM world from the stunt world. If there's a simple cmd like /stunt that moves the player to a vworld just for stunting where /vr and /flip is allowed and have a clear message about stunting on join, it would  be perfect.
If we define stunt area's, players that leave can be moved back to the 'real' world. In the stunting environment all other gameplay elements would be blocked, no props/guns/fighting, they also revieve a message inviting them to the real world.

I also think that stunters ar less likely to stick with a server then RP/DM'ers. They are also less likely to want to fight or make money, they just want to have fun.

Stunters also do not want to search for vehicles, they want to be able to spawn them.
I have amended this system for now so that it is a lot more accurate. LV has pretty even ground. I've gathered the ground co-ords of the highest point of the city and changed this system so that it only applies to vehicles that are off the ground. Hopefully this should now not be a problem.

Regarding separating stunters and dmers via worlds: Perhaps this isn't a bad idea although as someone mentioned earlier it may spread the players out too much. Let's see how 2.94 goes - if it doesn't work out we'll see what we can do for the next version.

If necessary, I'll add a command for admins to re-enable vehicle damage incase it doesn't work out.
Edit: I've made it possible to control it through a filterscript.