Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Monetize on the server
So, after some discussion with MrBondt on IRC, we concluded that we should find ways to make money on LVM, and with any luck, fund a super server! So here are a few things I have in mind, I'd like other suggestions and input on this. Minecraft has a huge potential, and with our custom plugin, great IRC connection, and such, we could have a very successful server. Maybe we can work toward that :)

BuyCraft: BuyCraft is a great plugin that allows us to sell rights and items to players in game, all automatically and through PayPal. This plugin will be mentioned in many of the following ideas that I have.

VIP: We already sell VIP rights for 5 Euros, and it does not expire. Because we already have given it to others non-expiring, we cannot make it expire now. VIP Rights using BuyCraft can be completely automated and seamless to the user.

VIP+: I am thinking that net to VIP, we can have VIP+ with a few extra feature, but expires after 30 days. Maybe 2.50 - 3 Euros for this also? It's a thought.

Creative World: I would like to add a creative world to the server. I think the best way that we can monetize on this, is charging a subscription in order to build there. Many other servers do this, so it wouldn't be unusual. I am thinking between 2.50 - 3 Euros per 30 days. It's a very small fee, and it gives players access to build things with unlimited items and fly around. And because it does require more server resources, I can justify requiring users to pay to use it.

Purchase Items: We can make different "packages" to sell to players with different items, The prices on these can vary, and it can include a variety of items. All automatic, and simple to the end user.

Individual Command and Features: We can sell users individual commands and features. Commands that do not come with the VIP package, but players would still like to have.

These are just a few ideas that I currently have to bring in more money to the server. I'd love to hear any other ideas, exact details on how much we need to generate to upgrade, etc.
(10-10-2011, 05:45 PM)MacSto link Wrote: VIP: We already sell VIP rights for 5 Euros, and it does not expire. Because we already have given it to others non-expiring, we cannot make it expire now. VIP Rights using BuyCraft can be completely automated and seamless to the user.
I wouldn't change anything about that indeed. You may want to look at the price if you're adding or removing features from this package though.

(10-10-2011, 05:45 PM)MacSto link Wrote: VIP+: I am thinking that net to VIP, we can have VIP+ with a few extra feature, but expires after 30 days. Maybe 2.50 - 3 Euros for this also? It's a thought.
You need a list of features before pricing it. I also think a better name would be "VIP Premium" :P

(10-10-2011, 05:45 PM)MacSto link Wrote: Creative World: I would like to add a creative world to the server. I think the best way that we can monetize on this, is charging a subscription in order to build there. Many other servers do this, so it wouldn't be unusual. I am thinking between 2.50 - 3 Euros per 30 days. It's a very small fee, and it gives players access to build things with unlimited items and fly around. And because it does require more server resources, I can justify requiring users to pay to use it.
This sounds like something big to me. You could be a little more agressive with the pricing here, but that's something you guys can figure out better than me.

(10-10-2011, 05:45 PM)MacSto link Wrote: Purchase Items: We can make different "packages" to sell to players with different items, The prices on these can vary, and it can include a variety of items. All automatic, and simple to the end user.
Sounds good.

(10-10-2011, 05:45 PM)MacSto link Wrote: Individual Command and Features: We can sell users individual commands and features. Commands that do not come with the VIP package, but players would still like to have.
Not really sure what you have in mind.

(10-10-2011, 05:45 PM)MacSto link Wrote: These are just a few ideas that I currently have to bring in more money to the server. I'd love to hear any other ideas, exact details on how much we need to generate to upgrade, etc.
These are just a few remarks that pop up in my head when I read it. I'm available to set stuff up, do some programming (for communication between the web and game server perhaps) or other questions you might have. :)
(10-10-2011, 05:45 PM)MacSto link Wrote:
VIP: We already sell VIP rights for 5 Euros, and it does not expire. Because we already have given it to others non-expiring, we cannot make it expire now. VIP Rights using BuyCraft can be completely automated and seamless to the user.

Fine as it is, although we might want to take a second look at which features VIPs have in comparison to Builders/SBuilders

VIP+: I am thinking that net to VIP, we can have VIP+ with a few extra feature, but expires after 30 days. Maybe 2.50 - 3 Euros for this also? It's a thought.

Sounds good to me. I'll think of some potential features and edit this post.

Creative World: I would like to add a creative world to the server. I think the best way that we can monetize on this, is charging a subscription in order to build there. Many other servers do this, so it wouldn't be unusual. I am thinking between 2.50 - 3 Euros per 30 days. It's a very small fee, and it gives players access to build things with unlimited items and fly around. And because it does require more server resources, I can justify requiring users to pay to use it.

Putting a cost to the server isn't a bad idea,  it will also make sure that most players won't try griefing on it.

Purchase Items: We can make different "packages" to sell to players with different items, The prices on these can vary, and it can include a variety of items. All automatic, and simple to the end user.

War2k suggested a sign-based store plugin, if we were to sell x amount of diamonds for x amount of euros, those stores would be a good way to remove said diamonds again. Of course, prices for items shouldn't be too crazy.

Individual Command and Features: We can sell users individual commands and features. Commands that do not come with the VIP package, but players would still like to have.

Similar to VIP+ then?

These are just a few ideas that I currently have to bring in more money to the server. I'd love to hear any other ideas, exact details on how much we need to generate to upgrade, etc.

Again, I'll edit this post as I think of more stuff. I'll reread through the .dev logs, as some good ideas were posted there.