Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Is it normal that...
my computer starts lagging after a couple of minutes playing Minecraft (nothing else is open except for minecraft).

Is it my PC or minecraft's side?
It sounds like a memory issue, how much RAM do you have?
(05-29-2011, 03:15 PM)iou link Wrote: It sounds like a memory issue, how much RAM do you have?
No clue, but seeing as this PC is pretty old, I guess it's not a lot.
It could be a memory leak in MC, does a restart (of MC) fix it?
Is it normal that... [you can't finish the question in the topic title]

1.6-1.6.4 have CPU and memory issues, try updating to 1.6.5.

Minecraft is a rather demanding game, although it's made of blocks and pixels, on my other PC's (1gb ram, radeon x1300, pentium 4 3.2ghz) they can barely handle the game with full fog.
Quote: link=topic=28611.msg389659#msg389659 date=1306682881]
No clue, but seeing as this PC is pretty old, I guess it's not a lot.

Afaik minecraft takes more memory as time goes, as do many other applications.
If the memory runs out, it will start using the HDD instead, which will go very slow.
On older computers it's a good idea to shutdown, pull the power cable and let it stand for 1-2 hours.
Doing that will free up on memory.

1. CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the task manager when your computer is lagging.
2. Find minecraft under Applications, right click it and choose "Go To Process".
3. Check how much memory it's using and report back here.
4. Check CPU Usage at bottom and report back here.
5. Which process is using the most CPU?
6. Press Performance tab, report the following values: "Total", "Cached", "Available" and "Free" under Physical Memory.

If RAM isn't the issue, it could be overheating, things do run slower on higher temperatures.
(05-29-2011, 07:33 PM)iou link Wrote: On older computers it's a good idea to shutdown, pull the power cable and let it stand for 1-2 hours.
Doing that will free up on memory.

Why pull the power cable and let it stand for 1-2 hours? Rebooting your PC will do the trick.
(05-29-2011, 07:40 PM)Matthias link Wrote: Why pull the power cable and let it stand for 1-2 hours? Rebooting your PC will do the trick.

Then you don't know much about memory, memory stays. I even did this to my MP3 player once, it wouldn't start.
But after removing the battery and letting it just lay there for a few hours cleared it's internal memory and there we go again.
It works for mobiles displaying the battery wrong and even electronic speed meters displaying speed wrong.
(05-29-2011, 07:45 PM)iou link Wrote: Then you don't know much about memory, memory stays. I even did this to my MP3 player once, it wouldn't start.
But after removing the battery and letting it just lay there for a few hours cleared it's internal memory and there we go again.
It works for mobiles displaying the battery wrong and even electronic speed meters displaying speed wrong.

Once a PC is powered down, the memory clears instantly, if you're referring to the BIOS/CMOS in which removing the battery from the motherboard, unplugging it and pressing the power button would discharge any remaining power within your system. Thus making the small amount of saved data in your bios reset, causing your bios to be restored to default settings. In this case, RAM does not work the same, turning off your PC, or restarting your PC, clears what your RAM caches.

MP3 players work the same, but you can't discharge them like a PC, you have to wait awhile for the existing power to slow dissipate.
(05-29-2011, 08:12 PM)xBlueXFoxx link Wrote: Once a PC is powered down, the memory clears instantly, if you're referring to the BIOS/CMOS in which removing the battery from the motherboard, unplugging it and pressing the power button would discharge any remaining power within your system. Thus making the small amount of saved data in your bios reset, causing your bios to be restored to default settings. In this case, RAM does not work the same, turning off your PC, or restarting your PC, clears what your RAM caches.

MP3 players work the same, but you can't discharge them like a PC, you have to wait awhile for the existing power to slow dissipate.

You're too blue for me.