Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Saturday Midday Talk
Hey,

there are some really important things we have to talk about related to the Bukkit plugin.

Repository and License

Peter, Matthias and me had a discussion some minutes ago, whether we should do this LVM plugin project open- or closed source. I was against open source because I thought that people would steal our work by copying the source and re-release it with their names on it. Matthias is for open source and thinks that this is a good possibility to let other developers learn our kind of coding. After they learned it they could help us or even join the team. Peter suggested open source as well. I'm not really sure about it, but I think that we should do this 50/50. We could use the positive aspects of open source and the ones of closed source in this project, I suggest to make the based things, like events and methods open source, so that everyone gets the structure of a Bukkit-based plugin, but our self-written core and general Java functions should be kept closed. MaCsto and Rien should give their oppinions as well. (Free for discussion)

Name

Matthias and me agree that the name doesn't really fit to the project, Las Venturas and Minecraft got nothing to do with each other. The Minecraft players wouldn't really get it and think that this is some kinds of a closed-community server, we don't have to change the whole name, I think we could keep Playground or Mineground in the name, but it needs another beginning, I couldn't think of an alternative one yet. (Free for discussion)

What do we need?

I couldn't really think of what to do, it would be good to have a list with every plugin and it's use, and a list of all things we have to add. (Free for discussion)

( More topics to be added here )

Regards,

thiaZ
1. I'm fine with CS as well as OS, I'd really like to leave this decision to developers, unless MacSto has a different opinion on this.

2. If anyone has any suggestions, go ahead.

3. I'll post a list of the plugins we have atm and what we use them for later today : )
1. I have mixed feelings about this. If we went open source, we could potentially get more help with it, people can learn, and LVP would be contributing a lot to the Bukkit plugin development community. However, with that we have to consider the fact that if we have something unique and original, as I believe we would as I don't see any "all in one" plugins, we are sure to see little duplicate servers popping up all over. Just like if LVP was an open source project back when it was big, there would likely be 20 copies of the server, and it would take away from the uniqueness and originality. Personally, I settle best with what thiaZ said;
(04-23-2011, 02:09 PM)thiaZ link Wrote: I suggest to make the based things, like events and methods open source, so that everyone gets the structure of a Bukkit-based plugin, but our self-written core and general Java functions should be kept closed.
I think this is perfect middle ground that we can all agree on.

2. I do see where you are coming from with the name, and I think we should definitely think about this more, and certainly so if we get really deep in this plugin development.

3. Along with Rien's list, I will post a topic with needed features and systems. Also, I'd say the majority of the plugins we use share their source, which looking at may help us. I am so excited about this and where it is going. I think we do have the potential to be one of a kind, and be "the server" everybody talks about :)