Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Cool things you can do with your iPod touch or iPhone
So I've had my iPod touch 2g, and I've found a few useful things I can do with it.

Windows OS for you iPod (kinda..)

NOTE: This is made for educational purposes and is not made to provoke pirating, conversations about pirating on these forums will result in the post being removed ASAP and possible warning, please do not discuss pirating in this topic.

1. A Windows CD (Windows XP will be best for this, maybe windows 2000, I'm using Vista for an example)
2. A PC with enough ram and CPU to handle a second operating system
3. A legal copy of VMWare Workstation ;)
4. An iPod touch 2g or higher with firmware 4.1 or higher (no need for jailbreak)
5. The FREE Team Viewer application for iPod.
6. A FREE copy of Team Viewer from http://www.teamviewer.com/ (but not yet)

Alright so how to do this

Step 1. Setting up your virtual PC with VMWare

Install VMware onto your computer

[Image: VMware.jpg]

Open VMware and go to file>new>Create Virtual machine and this will open.

[Image: VMwarecreate.jpg]

Once open select Custom, then hit next then select the latest Workstation version, I will be using 6.5-7. Once you have done that, select where you would like to install your virtual OS from, either your disk drive or harddrive using .iso format.

[Image: VMwarecreate.jpg]

Hit next, fill out your virtual PC name and Windows product key.
Once you have done this, hit next and name the virtual machine that will save to you harddrive.

Hit next again, then select how many cores of your CPU you would like to reserve for your virtual machine, if you only have a single core, your pc may have low performance while hosting a virtual machine. If you have dual core, I recommend only selecting 1 core, if you have a quad core, I recommend allowing it to use 1-2 cores, as this will only be used for you iPod it does not need much speed.

[Image: vmcore.jpg]

Once you have done that, hit next and it will ask how much ram you would like to use for your virtual machine, now note again, this virtual machine will not be doing much but being ran for your iPod, so it does not need a generous amount of ram to run.

Now, I my PC has 3GB DDR2 ram, so for this windows vista OS I'm going to give it about 512mb.
(Remember, the more ram you have the more you'll have open for your virtual machine.)

What I recommend for what OS.
Windows 7 Ultimate, 512mb
Windows Vista Home, 512mb
Windows XP, 256-512mb
Windows 2000, 256mb

Once you have selected the ram, it will bring you to the network setup, what you will want to set up is a "NAT" connection.

[Image: vmnet.jpg]

Hit next again, it will ask what I/O controller you want, just choose LSI Logic, Hit next.

Once you have done that it will ask you what you would like for a virtual hard drive, choose "create a new virtual disk", hit next and select the recommended drive, in my case it is SCSI.

Hit next once more and select how much hard drive space you would like to reserve for your virtual machine, I'm selecting 10GB as I don't think I'll be doing too much with my iPod on this machine. It really doesn't matter how much you select, as long as it's above 10gb, the virtual drive will only use up however much is installed on it. Ex: The operating system will use an average of 4gb, you'll want 10+ so you have space for whatever you would like to install on it.

[Image: vmdrive.jpg]

Hit next and it will ask you what you would like to save the virtual drive as, I just used the default and hit next again.

One you are done make sure "power on this VM after creation" then hit finish.

Once you hit finish the Virtual PC will power on and start up like your a normal computer. Install the operating system you have chosen like you would for a normal PC.

[Image: 1-6.jpg][Image: 2-6.jpg][Image: 3-6.jpg]

Once you are done installing, please follow onto step two.

[Image: Vistainstalled.jpg]

Step 2: Installing Team Viewer on the iPod

This is really not too complicated, just visit the app store, either in the iPod or on iTunes and search up "Team Viewer" make sure you download the free version.

Step 3: Downloading and using Team Viewer on your Virtual machine.

Alright, so first of all you may need to within your virtual machine, open internet explorer, go to the URL http://teamviewer.com/ and download the program Team Viewer.

Once this is done, install Team Viewer and MAKE SURE you select it only for personal use, this will allow you to use the application free of charge.

Once you are done installing, open up Team Viewer and you will get an ID and Password, this will be used to log onto your virtual PC using your iPod. Open up Team Viewer within your iPod and type in the ID and password then connect.

If you want you can go into the Team Viewer settings on your Virtual Machine and set a static password, so you can access that PC on the go.

Then you're done and have a Windows OS dedicated just for your iPod/iPhone that works over a normal internet connection!

Q. Why not just use Team Viewer on your normal OS?
A. A virtual machine can be minimized and used completely separate of your normal operating system, this will allow you to use that second operating system without interrupting the normal OS. You can run MIRC or a difference client without having to download an application for your iPod and have to switch in and out of apps, also you can have your favorite messengers on your second OS and have a conversation while someone is on your PC, or while you are gaming (depends on performance) you can still access that second PC. It's pretty much the reason you would own a second PC in the first place. It's just an advanced and easy way to multitask without having to switch in and out of applications and without your PC being interrupted.

Q. Are you like Weezy and love to steal posts from other forums and slightly modify them to look like yours?
A. I just spent like an hour writing this.

Got other cool things you can do with your iPod/iPhone? Post them here!
(03-09-2011, 03:13 AM)xBlueXFoxx link Wrote: Got other cool things you can do with your iPod/iPhone? Post them here!
Yeah, I have one... the fapping material is amazing
very nice and simple.
great thread man  :)
iPeople lol.
even though i only use my ipod for music and playing uno with people, this is can be very useful.

i will be gettin a  iphone very soon

nice topic man, i might use this once i get my iphone. :)
Doodlejump  :D