Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

New notebook, please help me out
This morning the screen of my notebook crashed. It stays black from the moment I start it. Since replacing the screen costs several 100 euro's, I want to buy a new notebook. And the problem is: I don't know shit about notebooks/pc's.

I want something that can run today's software without problems (don't need highest resolution for games, but just something that can cope with 2010/2011 software). After a short search, I found this one: Acer Aspire 5742G-454G75MN 15,6" notebook.

Here are the specs:
- Screen: 15.6" CrystalBrite LED 16:9
- Processor Intel® Core™ i5 450M Processor 2.40 GHz
- Geheugen 4096 MB (1x 4096 MB)
- Harddisk 750 GB 5400 rpm
- CD-/DVD-Rewriter Super Multi DVD-RW Double Layer
- Videokaart 1024 MB nVidia® GeForce® GT540M
- Wirelesscard 802.11 b/g/n
- Webcam 1.3 MP CrystalEye Webcam
- Bluetooth Yes
- 2 in 1 cardreader
- Weight: 2,6 kg
- Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bits
- Geluidskaart onboard
- Including Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter

This one costs just under 700 euro's, which is the money I'd want to spend. I've read somewhere that it's also able to run games as Black Opps with medium graphics (enough for me).

I want to know if these specs are any good, like the videocard and processor. Or if you know any other similar notebooks.

Thanks
Are you sure its a hardware problem and not a software one?

About that laptop, it seems awesome except for the 5400 rpm hard drive.
(03-07-2011, 08:55 PM)cloakster link Wrote: Are you sure its a hardware problem and not a software one?

About that laptop, it seems awesome except for the 5400 rpm hard drive.

7200rpm HDDs in a laptop is even worse - noisy as fuck and too hot
(03-07-2011, 08:55 PM)cloakster link Wrote: Are you sure its a hardware problem and not a software one?
Yes I do. Because if I connect it with HDMI to my tv, it does everything without a problem on my tv screen. Besides the problem, I was already planning to buy a new laptop in the near future.

(03-07-2011, 09:27 PM)Hitman link Wrote: 7200rpm HDDs in a laptop is even worse - noisy as fuck and too hot
Didn't know that, thanks for the tip!
(03-07-2011, 09:27 PM)Hitman link Wrote: 7200rpm HDDs in a laptop is even worse - noisy as fuck and too hot

Mine is fairly quiet, but yes it does run hot. Though, its way worth it when helps to load everything faster and especially worth it when your looking at a gaming laptop :P
(03-08-2011, 05:56 AM)cloakster link Wrote: Mine is fairly quiet, but yes it does run hot. Though, its way worth it when helps to load everything faster and especially worth it when your looking at a gaming laptop :P

Well hes most likely playing on 1366x768, i think thats the normal resolution in his budget range, so his GT540 will do fine along with his good CPU.

SolidRock, im not sure how soon you need your notebook, but if its not that urgent you could try waiting ~2 more weeks and get a laptop with Intels new CPUs. They've been shipping since about 4-5 weeks, and now they release new laptops with the new CPUs like every day. They're faster than the current CPUs while eating less power - comes in handy for a gaming notebook. Better performance while the running time improves - and they're cooler aswell.

Then again, the laptop you posted up there seems to be pretty ownage for the money you want to spend.
If you plan on buying that Acer, I'd suggest you to get the Acer Extended Warranty plan. That one costs about 60-70 EUR but gives you extra 3 years of warranty - imo worth it, seeing as gaming notebooks tend to get problems with heat after a few years.
(03-08-2011, 10:08 AM)Hitman link Wrote: Well hes most likely playing on 1366x768, i think thats the normal resolution in his budget range, so his GT540 will do fine along with his good CPU.

SolidRock, im not sure how soon you need your notebook, but if its not that urgent you could try waiting ~2 more weeks and get a laptop with Intels new CPUs. They've been shipping since about 4-5 weeks, and now they release new laptops with the new CPUs like every day. They're faster than the current CPUs while eating less power - comes in handy for a gaming notebook. Better performance while the running time improves - and they're cooler aswell.

Then again, the laptop you posted up there seems to be pretty ownage for the money you want to spend.
If you plan on buying that Acer, I'd suggest you to get the Acer Extended Warranty plan. That one costs about 60-70 EUR but gives you extra 3 years of warranty - imo worth it, seeing as gaming notebooks tend to get problems with heat after a few years.

That's all what need to be said. But the warranty plan, don't go for it. Try to buy it at (pm me at irc). 2 years warranty from the store and even the 3th year too. Normally we pay 33 percent of the repair. But from what i've withnessed is that we pay the whole bill. No need to pay for extra warranty.

greets,

jerico
Since I needed it very urgent, I couldn't wait very long to buy a new one. That's why I bought it a couple of hours ago. Also because another friend of min told me it is a good one for it's price. If I could have waited a little longer, I think I've done what Hitman said, but I just can't do without a laptop for my university.

And I  bought it at a store in Utrecht that gives a 3 years warranty over the 1 year that Acer gives. (dunno if  it might be the same store as you work jerico. It's named CyMmo, but with the letters in another order :+ )

Thank for the help :)
judt gewt thr 2000 oen, lol
GO AWAY RIEN