Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Adding an external HDD to the home network
Hey guys.

After having browsed Google for solutions, I kind of fail to find the one I need. I've had this external HDD from 400GB for a few years now. I never really used it apart from storing stuff I didn't need anymore. Now, I cleared everything on it. It's an external which uses a plug (so, not using an extra USB cable for power). I've plugged it in, connected a network cable to it, and plugged it into my router. So the next step would've been checking through my PC to find the device and add it to the network. Seeing I've recently bought a laptop, I added my home PC, the laptop itself, and another laptop to the homegroup.

Here is where the problem kicks in. My PC finds the external, but I can't seem to find a way to add it to the homegroup network, which would allow me to have access to the external HDD incase of needing files that are stored on it. I was thinking of putting music folders, films, and some other stuff on there, thus having constant access to these files if needed, and not having to boot up my PC for it.

I'm using Windows 7 (no idea if that matters, though), and was hoping if anyone could give me a solution on how to fix this problem.

Kind regards.
My router has a usb port on it designed for external drives. Model is:D-link DIR-628, cool feature, I checked it out, never used it much.
Well, there seems to be a USB port on my router too. I've plugged it in there now, so the drive is connected. However, how do I get access to that now? Thanks for noting that though, because I had no idea there was a freaking USB port on my router.
(09-18-2010, 04:36 PM)Maka link Wrote: Well, there seems to be a USB port on my router too. I've plugged it in there now, so the drive is connected. However, how do I get access to that now? Thanks for noting that though, because I had no idea there was a freaking USB port on my router.

Hmm is it a dlink? Did you try google  :+?
Googled before. And yeah, D-link.
All I can think of is that homegroup would not work with the HDD, as its a HDD and not a computer. So all that's left now I think is that you need to create a local network/new connection that would use that HDD, also the HDD should have a separate IP or something. But this is just my thoughts, I haven't got a clue about these things, but that's all I can think of now.
Unfortunately, that's all Chinese to me. I don't understand why Windows doesn't see it though. It should be possible, shouldn't it? Ahwell, sucks if it's impossible. All I know is, I've read people saying it's possible to do.
(09-18-2010, 05:59 PM)Maka link Wrote: Googled before. And yeah, D-link.

Type http://192.168.0.1/ into your browser, sign in. Go to setup, on the side it should say "USB check for updates.
Sign in how? Entering my password in there doesn't work.
(09-18-2010, 07:50 PM)Maka link Wrote: Sign in how? Entering my password in there doesn't work.

Umm default the password should be "Admin".