Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Quick question.
Seriously people keep your brains together.

Alright, so I like video recording with FRAPS ect ect, and it uses .AVI a uncompressed format, that uses a lot of hard drive write speed, and before I go out and do this, I figured I would ask. If I were to put in a second SATA hard drive into my computer and directed FRAPS to write the video files on that harddrive rather than my primary drive, would that increase performance in games while recording? I have an AMD Phenom II x4 820 processor, so I'm sure I can handle that no problem. But when recording in fraps, it's smooth for the first minute, then gets more laggy as the video file gets bigger, so I'm assuming it's my harddrive simply not handling writing these files while also reading games ex: MW2 and other games that take 5GB+.

Dumbed down: My harddrive slows down when recording with FRAPS in an uncompressed format, making 1-5GB videos, while playing large games it starts to lag a lot and I'm sure it's not my ram or processor, it seems to be my hard drive just not keeping up. If I got a second hard drive and redirected FRAPS to record onto it, would that increase performance?

-Btw my harddrive is a 250GB SATA 7200 or 7600RPM(Never checked)
not really, atleast you would barely notice it.

what you could try though is getting the same HDD you have now again and let them run in RAID 0.

It would double your current HDD speed, but then again there's the risk that if one HDD fucks up, the data on both is lost.
(09-10-2010, 10:58 AM)Hitman link Wrote: not really, atleast you would barely notice it.

what you could try though is getting the same HDD you have now again and let them run in RAID 0.

It would double your current HDD speed, but then again there's the risk that if one HDD fucks up, the data on both is lost.

/bump, just checked it out with an IDE drive, actually I noticed a very high amount in improvement, you still get a little fraps lag when it's starting up, but after that's over it runs great! So FRAPS users, I  recommend a multiple drive configuration just for video recording!

Quote:[09:03] Guillaume Steffens: No, it's the CPU that matter
[09:03] xBlueXFoxx: I have a quad core :+ so yeah I have plenty of CPU space
[09:03] xBlueXFoxx: But yeah the harddrive write speed also matters
[09:04] xBlueXFoxx: just this morning I found out that a second harddrive is a big improvment
[09:04] xBlueXFoxx: if you play the game on the primary drive and save the recording on the slave
[09:04] Guillaume Steffens: How fast can your HDD write/read?
[09:04] xBlueXFoxx: Also the commentary video was originally my little test to prove that
[09:05] xBlueXFoxx: Uhh not sure, all I know is my harddrive is 7200-7600RPM
[09:05] xBlueXFoxx: The second drive I have no clue, maybe the same
[09:05] xBlueXFoxx: I've been trying to record stuff on my primary drive, always ended in epic FPS loss
[09:05] xBlueXFoxx: then I tried this method this morning and yeah
[09:05] xBlueXFoxx: much better.
[09:06] Guillaume Steffens: Or you can wait till the SSD prices drops a lot
[09:06] xBlueXFoxx: Yeeaaah I don't feel like waiting 5 years
[09:06] Guillaume Steffens: Hmm
[09:06] xBlueXFoxx: the 500GB SSD's are $2,000
[09:06] Guillaume Steffens: I know
[09:06] Guillaume Steffens: *1000€
[09:07] Guillaume Steffens: Ohh dolar & euro's are different
[09:07] xBlueXFoxx: yeah
[09:08] xBlueXFoxx: This commentary video I just posted a little while ago was originally a test to see if the second drive improved the speed, which it did, but I also felt a little lucky and kept recording
[09:08] xBlueXFoxx: then I found out their was an aimbotter and decided to record that instead.