Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Computer issues
Whenever I play a high graphic game my computer freezes up, and I'm not sure what part to blame in my computer, I ran disk checks, my graphics card is keeping a low temp even at full load, ram is keeping cool, CPU is keeping cooler than cool, but my harddrive is heating up big time.

So I put a fan under my harddrive and keeping it help up a bit with a bit of metal sticking out, so it will get a good airflow for a temporary fix. Until I receive the new harddrive cooler I ordered yesterday, I was wondering if anyone knew what the issue could be.

The issue being, when I play games like Crysis: WarHead, Need for Speed: Most wanted, Call of Duty: WaW, Modern Warfare 2, and some others, during gameplay it takes a bit but eventually the screen will go grey and my speakers make a buzzing noise as if I got the BSOD. So when this happens, my computer freezes so I have to restart it blah blah.

Which brings me back to my point, I have check all the temps, harddrive is getting hottest, tried disk defragging, disk check, cleaning up a bit of space for less of a load, reapplied thermal grease to my CPU (Not needed at all) Refit my custom graphic card cooler, ect.

So if you know what's going on, please leave your idea's below. Here are my PC specs.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
3GB DDR2 ram
ATI Radeon HD4850 512mb GDDR3
AMD Phenom II x4 820, 2.8ghz
250GB (7600RPM I think) SATA Harddrive
650w Blue LED power supply
Biostar motherboard, too lazy to get the model but I will if needed.
7600RPM, that's the problem. Mine is 7200 that's normal, so I think that's causing the heating. Your hard drive is spinning too much, so this is causing your computer to freeze. You probably want to get a hard drive with normal speed like 7200RPM, the higher the number of you hard drive is, the more it heats / spins

Note: I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I pretty much know about this type of problems
(08-12-2010, 02:40 AM)SaDist link Wrote: 7600RPM, that's the problem. Mine is 7200 that's normal, so I think that's causing the heating. Your hard drive is spinning too much, so this is causing your computer to freeze. You probably want to get a hard drive with normal speed like 7200RPM, the higher the number of you hard drive is, the more it heats / spins

Note: I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I pretty much know about this type of problems

7200*, I don't know the actual speed of this harddrive, have not checked.
Hope you find it
sorry, i have no idea.

i have experienced some problems during gameplay in some games, but that's just cuz my computer sux.

i hope you find a solution.
(08-12-2010, 07:31 AM)TwistedDemon link Wrote: sorry, i have no idea.

Then don't post, lol...if you don't know then in this topic that makes you useless (to the topic starter).

(And yes, I'm useless too)
I had the same problem. But once I changed the video card cooling problem disappeared (now using accelero s1 rev.2). The specifications of the hard disk and the rest of the hardware you can see with the program Speccy (its free).
(08-12-2010, 08:03 AM)JIMI_JO link Wrote: I had the same problem. But once I changed the video card cooling problem disappeared (now using accelero s1 rev.2). The specifications of the hard disk and the rest of the hardware you can see with the program Speccy (its free).

I'm pretty sure it is not my graphic card, I have a 50$ custom cooler that keeps my GPU down to 45C, which may sound a lot but for the 4850 cards they normally run at 80-90C with no errors at all, so with this cooler on my card I'm literally getting 50% of the heat reduced from my card, (Epic run on sentence is epic)

But as for my harddrive I let it cool down by putting it in a ziplock bag and in the freezer.  :X
That fixed it so far I have had no errors or restarts, so it did have to do with the harddrive overheating, I'll have my new cooler by the end of the week and yeah hopefully I won't run into this issue again.

/Close pl0x
freezing is the efect of weak cooling or overclocking,
go to bios and set you cpu about 100Mghz down and it shoud help
cuz it helped me.......alot.
(08-12-2010, 11:32 AM)MidNight link Wrote: freezing is the efect of weak cooling or overclocking,
go to bios and set you cpu about 100Mghz down and it shoud help
cuz it helped me.......alot.

(08-12-2010, 01:31 AM)xbluexfoxx link Wrote: Whenever I play a high graphic game my computer freezes up, and I'm not sure what part to blame in my computer, I ran disk checks, my graphics card is keeping a low temp even at full load, ram is keeping cool, CPU is keeping cooler than cool, but my harddrive is heating up big time.

Learn to read the first post before posting, also I have already stated that I confirmed that it was the harddrive overheating and I have a cooler for it arriving any day now.