Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

LAN connection not working on XP
I decided to give Windows 7 a try this afternoon. It's installed next to XP at the moment. Works fine, but when I switched back to XP my LAN connection suddenly stopped working.

I keep getting the message "Network cable unplugged." I checked the cables, tried other cables and changed the ports on my router. I rebooted, forgot I would automatically boot into Windows 7, and found out the LAN connection is working fine there.

Checked the drivers, nothing wrong. Tried to install new one, but I already have the latest. Disabled en enabled the LAN connection, nothing works. I even tried to revert to a recovery point (system restore) from a few days ago, still nothing.

This doesn't make any sense. It's working fine in 7, but not in XP ever since I installed Windows 7. I do have a wireless USB-card which works fine in both Windows XP and 7, but I don't really want to use that all the time.

Any clues?
It's windows telling you to keep using Windows 7 O+

on a more serious note, on Vista and W7 there's this function somewhere in your network options to look for any problems, I don't know where it is and I don't know if it's in XP either, but you might wanna give that a try :+
(09-01-2009, 09:40 PM)Twilight link Wrote: on a more serious note, on Vista and W7 there's this function somewhere in your network options to look for any problems, I don't know where it is and I don't know if it's in XP either, but you might wanna give that a try :+

As far as I know, the only option in XP is to repair the broken connection. Unfortunately that's not possible if a network cable is unplugged :P
yeah, that's what I meant.. :(

anyways, system recovery? :+
Quote:I even tried to revert to a recovery point (system restore) from a few days ago, still nothing.

;)

I'll delete the driver, reboot, and pray to god the drivers are automatically recognized. Just moved into another house, the cd with drivers could be anywhere :P
... and suddenly it's working again. Really odd. Thanks for the help Twilight :>
xp is really outdated and probably your drivers are too new for it, next time just find older drivers if it happens again but i really doubt thats the problem :/ weird stuff.
Dude, that totally doesn't make sense. But thanks anyway :P