Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

IV:MP
(03-26-2010, 08:11 AM)Maddolis link Wrote: I'm 90% through my own personal mod, however it is invite only and I assure you, none of you will be getting any invites.

Except for Arno  *;

You no like Zezima? :(

And about Kye....how would Kye do anything? If they get passed Rockstar (hard enough) they got them Microsoft cunts to deal with who wouldn't let anything go. So how would Kye do more than Rockstar and Microsoft if he doesn't even have permission to do SA-MP with no profit let alone have people pay to get on the hosted list? Or pay for other server providers (ignoring those that host the server in their own home)?
how much would rockstar earn if it wasnt for an MP version.
the number of buyers must have tripled...
(03-26-2010, 05:22 PM)iou link Wrote: how much would rockstar earn if it wasnt for an MP version.
the number of buyers must have tripled...

you read my thoughts,if it wasnt for sa-mp i prolly wouldnt play gta sa right now.
What, a few thousand more buyers? Think of the average online players.

The reason Rockstar haven't done anything. As said, if Rockstar knew Kye was making profit from something he had no copyright or ownership of, they would do something.
It's Rockstar's problem that they made a shitty multiplayer for IV. No doubt that they knew that SA-MP exists, could have made something similar on their own.
Hi, this is "Kye". That guy's name you seem to like flinging around a lot.

I want to ask you guys: where do you get your information? You seem to know a lot more than I do.

(03-26-2010, 07:45 AM)Matthias link Wrote: He mailed Rockstar as well.
Quote: [17:24:46] <@Kye> this was forwarded to me:

Please get the facts right. I did not email R*. I do not care about "IV:MP" and I don't really care about GTA IV. I have not played it since after it was released in 2008.

What I do care about is people from the cheat community, like Jenksta, taking advantage of years of work done by the SA-MP dev team. It was clear he was going to steal stuff from the start, given they named the project "IV:MP". There were many multiplayer mods before SA:MP and none were called "*:MP". MP is not a common acronym used for "Multi-Player". This is an attempt to use SA:MP's good name to trick people. For those of you that haven't been around very long, most multiplayer projects for GTA never even make it to release.

As for copyright, keep in mind that we don't distribute GTA:SA with our mod, you are required to have it already installed. The portion of SA:MP that is subject to GTA:SA's copyright is the client. The server does not require anything from GTA:SA to run. The copyright of GTA:SA also doesn't extend to our website or the server lists.

No money has ever been made from the SA:MP software except for one $50 donation sent by littlewhitey when my video card broke shortly after SA-MP 0.1 was released. I always felt I should refund him this money. SA:MP, the software, is not 100% mine. The development agreement we had in SA:MP is that everyone owns what they contributed to the project and it can only stay in the software as long as they agree to it. A good 95% of the coding in SA:MP is done by myself and spookie. spookie got the shits with the project very early on and moved on to bigger and better things. Although important design decisions like the server browser and pawn were contributed by spookie.

The SA:MP website, which is owned by me, and server lists are seperate to the software. These require funds for hosting as well as constant maintenance. There is just as much work done maintaining the site and server lists as there is on the SA:MP software. You don't really need to come to the website to obtain the software and you don't need to access the server lists to play either.

Other mods like MTA simply outsource their server lists to other companies like Game-Monitor. Game-Monitor does have special perk accounts that you need to pay for. Originally SA-MP was going to use GameSpy but the manager there took 3 months to respond to my e-mail. By that time we had already developed our own server list.

Fact: There are single SA:MP servers that take in more money than SA:MP. Even LVP had donations and google ads up before SA:MP did.

(03-26-2010, 10:11 PM)Mark link Wrote: It's Rockstar's problem that they made a shitty multiplayer for IV. No doubt that they knew that SA-MP exists, could have made something similar on their own.

R* have known about SA:MP even before it was released. R* were generally friendly to modders until the "Hot Coffee" incident. They blamed modders for Hot Coffee and after that they couldn't obviously give support. MTA, even while I was working on their project, were getting unofficial support from R* - they managed to obtain many headers directly from the SA source code and much of this is now in the GPL:
http://github.com/multitheftauto/multith.../sdk/game/

Nobody seems to ask questions about whether they really had permission to do that. I'm worried that actions like this will end up with R* trying to shut all mods down.

I suspect if many of you hadn't pirated GTA:SA, you might have the poster and booklet that came with it. In the back of the booklet you can find the SA license. It's the same for version 1.0 and 2.0. On page 76 it contains wording such as: "OWNER encourages noncommercial distribution of quality Modifications," "(ii) your Modifications must contain a full, registered copy of the game to run" "(v) your Modifications must be distributed solely for free" "(iii) you may not distribute a Mod that contains an executable file which has been changed or modified in any way"

So, even though it may take a court of law to interpret this wording, I take it to mean that Modifications are within the license that I purchased when I purchased GTA:SA. GTA:IV contains no such wording, it simply says that any "User Created Content" will become property of the owner.

(03-26-2010, 03:07 PM)Hitman link Wrote: Infact Kye can be VERY lucky that Rockstar just lets him continue with SA:MP. Kye cant do shit, if Rockstar decided to "close" SA:MP Kye can be lucky that he doesnt have to pay a fine or something, since what he does is a major copyright issue

Edit: Sorry for my original text here. I had "{UvH}Hitman" confused with another "Hitman".

If you are so convinced that I'm violating someone else's copyright, why are you running an SA:MP server? Why are you not just as guilty as me? If there is a copyright violation, you seem to admit that you are knowingly taking part in it. If there was any legal action taken, the server owners would be just as liable as I am.

On any IV Multiplayer mod, as far as I can tell it may be a criminal offense to even attempt it. There are 2 methods of copy protection in GTA IV on PC. 1) Securom 2) Games For Windows Live CD-Key. Bypassing copy protection is a criminal offense in most western countries. Sure, you don't have to bypass Securom to make a mod work, SA-MP doesn't, but you can't make a Multiplayer mod work for IV without bypassing Games for Windows Live. Games for Windows Live has something called "protected buffers" which prevent you altering the memory needed to make a multiplayer work.

Quote:On July 16, 2001, Dmitry Sklyarov, a Russian citizen employed by the Russian company ElcomSoft who was at the time visiting the United States for a computer conference, was arrested and jailed for allegedly violating the United States' Digital Millennium Copyright Act (of 1998) by writing ElcomSoft's Advanced eBook Processor software.[1]

The original issue came to the attention of prosecutors when Adobe Systems, a US company, complained that copy protection arrangements in its e-book file format were being illegally circumvented by ElcomSoft's product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Stat...d_Sklyarov

Circumventing copy protection is not a good idea.
Before anyone replies, 'this isn't Kye', it is :P.

Thanks for clearing some things up. (Edited my previous post)
I edited it, sorry. I thought Hitman was the Hitman from cheaterwatch.com. Apparently there are a few Hitmen.
I wish my PC would run IV :(, maybe when i get this i7 i'll be able to run it, or i should just steal my neighbours i5, but if she ever found out my chances of having a night with her would be RUINED...

which part of Australia do you live in Kye?

Quote:I suspect if many of you hadn't pirated GTA:SA, you might have the poster and booklet that came with it. In the back of the booklet you can find the SA license. It's the same for version 1.0 and 2.0. On page 76 it contains wording such as: "OWNER encourages noncommercial distribution of quality Modifications," "(ii) your Modifications must contain a full, registered copy of the game to run" "(v) your Modifications must be distributed solely for free" "(iii) you may not distribute a Mod that contains an executable file which has been changed or modified in any way"
Err, is this the same for the PS2 map and booket? i can't seem to find it in mine,

I see what you changed there, Matthias.

Also, isn't piracy copyright infringement?