Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

2.90 database
Hell-oh,

I was thinking of using a mysql database for LVP 2.90. It will be a hell of a job, but I think it's definitely worth it. It means the user profiles, properties and all other data will be saved into this database. It will be much easier to use than the current system, and it will eliminate a LOT of bugs regarding webserver - gameserver synchronisation.

Players and admins are able to save their own preferences. For instance, drop the messagelevel system and use a per-user preferences system. They could even change their own preferences via a website admin panel and check which messages they want to see ingame.

Tomozj is starting with a database for data such as minigame highscores. We can also do this in mysql and even have some live statistics on the website.

I think all in all it's creating some very nice possibilities. The user profile database and properties database will first be a redundant system to check if it's running as it should. We wouldn't want to fuck up those systems, especially not the user profiles.

Any suggestions?
Well, I'd like to see what we were hoping to achieve with the SA-MP LVP 3.0 update on the website (registration of gangs, usercp) with 2.90. As you said, a per-user preferences system would be neat. I've already created the system, however it is quite limited due to SA-MP's restrictions, and I don't like it too much. Everything has to save as a string in order to avoid bugs and have a more generic handler to have wider support. I was thinking of actually importing the user files into a database - faster. But then, we wouldn't be able to edit them easily.

A MySQL database can easily be accessed remotely, and would mean we can use ONE server to save all of LVP's data, as 3.0 on MTA does. Meaning local and remote servers alike can both use the same databases. Perhaps even a sync of properties every few minutes? Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here..

In a nutshell: I'm all for this. I'd be happy to help script in either Pawn or PHP, and I think that we needn't wait for a 3.0 which probably won't be released in order to add some cool things.

What I'll do with the current database is commit the base code for others to see and stuff, but they'll be unused for now. If we go ahead with this MySQL idea, I'll simply remove the code. I'm not going to continue with the database as .. it's probably pointless.
It appears to be quite an interesting idea and as I'm sure a lot of work. However if it means better speeds, fixed bugs, and lots of new features, then it certainly will be worth it! Since development of LVP 3.0 is dead, perhaps some kind of system based of this could be made to register gangs from the website so they actually save which was a promised 3.0 feature. Saved gangs even gives me a few ideas to extend the features of the Gang base system I have been working on.

Maybe a handler could be built like the one tomozj whipped up, that easily manages saving / loading / editing fields of the database? However personally, I'm not to good with this kind of stuff though, infact I'm clueless so therefore I'll try and learn about it. If something is made though, It would probably be better for me to wait, and use that as an example to learn from.