Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

[C] Spelling and grammar
I am sick of reading how crew members can't spell correctly. I mean there are lots of people on these boards who can't even be arsed to write out full word(s), but fuck them, right now I'm talking specifically about some crew members who try to show themselves serious, yet, on the other hand, they're full of shit because of the spelling and grammar. For example, I've been following this ban appeal, and it looks like we should unban mAzz right now because of the fact that the moderator who banned him can't even spell properly! Take a look:

Quote:I went undercover yesturday because Weezy told me that you we're

Quote:you we're using insults along the lines of

Quote:because if your gonna keep flaming

Quote:You're unban date will be on the

Considering fact that I'm unable to see "SOLVED" ban appeals, I can't dig any more examples, but these lines should do the trick. Though, H0lden is not the only one who spells wrong. Few weeks ago when there were more ban appeals, I saw at least 3 crew members spelling like asshats. I'd like a management member (preferably the one who controls the crew) to answer the following questions, and hopefully crew members who are reading this would next time find their spelling and grammar good. I do realize that not everyone owns English as mother tongue, but at least crew members should find it sufficiently relevant.

1) Can a crew member spell with grammar mistakes and act serious while having lots of mistakes in his post? If yes, then why?
2) Can a crew member be a part of the crew if he's in lack of basic English? If yes, then why?

Thanks for your time.
What kind of nonsense complaint is this?

It is indeed true that a lot of people nowadays are not very strict with their language anymore, making blatantly stupid "mistakes" or not even writing out full words, like you said.
Given that, who cares about some spelling errors by crewmembers who are either pretty young or whose native language is not English? Maybe some crewmembers are even a bit dyslectic, without you (and me) knowing.

Of course I encourage all people, crewmembers in particular, to at least read the stuff you write and be a bit critical about it. But it is nonsense to make a complaint about it the way you did.
(12-01-2010, 01:05 AM)Dennis link Wrote: Given that, who cares about some spelling errors by crewmembers who are either pretty young or whose native language is not English?
Once again we return to the question you did not answer:
2) Can a crew member be a part of the crew if he's in lack of basic English? If yes, then why?
Honestly though, crew members actually should care what they are writing and HOW are they writing, at least in the Ban Zone section. If I get it right, that sub-forum is considered to be serious since players are supposed to get something important from there.
I'd suggest you to read my post which I submitted a couple of days ago. I clearly stated there that I should get an important feedback once I have appealed. My mother tongue is not English either, but I've been learning it correctly since the day I've started to learn and speak it. And now for example, some youngster replies with me using common mistakes such as writing your instead of you're. So it's either
a) I should re-read it at least 20 times times to understand what he is trying to say;
b) tell him to correct his all mistakes
I'd choose option b, but then, the next reply would be something like: "my english be good nd you want unban date or not". Why do I have to choose option a considering once again the fact that the crew member who banned me should had replied APPROPRIATELY, so I would have understood him?

(12-01-2010, 01:05 AM)Dennis link Wrote: Maybe some crewmembers are even a bit dyslectic, without you (and me) knowing.
That's why crew members should have common sense and think before they write. I know at least one crew member in your team who apparently "does not give a shit". Here are few examples from the last topic I'm talking about:
One, two (I suppose three is in this post as well) and four (just look at his posts in general).
If you claim that maybe some crew members are dyslectic, then I might as well ask you why on Earth is H0lden still in your team? There has been lots of complaints about him in the past, and probably will be more in the future, but he's still a part of your crew.

(12-01-2010, 01:05 AM)Dennis link Wrote: Of course I encourage all people, crewmembers in particular, to at least read the stuff you write and be a bit critical about it. But it is nonsense to make a complaint about it the way you did.
So far I've seen examples like crew members have not been encouraged at all. But as I stated earlier, I can't view the Dealt With board, that's why I can't provide some proof and examples.
Complaint is not nonsense at all, I'm trying to aim that crew members should at least find grammar and spelling compulsory in the Ban Zone, but it seems like I also complain about H0lden in general, which is true. He doesn't deserve to be in the crew with his current behavior. I'm not the only who thinks so. There are like plenty of people who can back-up my opinion, and considering his age (and puberty rising all over the top), he shouldn't have never been promoted. Even MacSto is younger, but so far I've seen that he is aiming for the positive trend; at first I was like "it's ridiculous to promote such youngster", but then I realized that he has some potential. H0lden on the other hand acts a tough guy in the crew - on the forums, IRC and in-game. And no, I'm not trying to take his position, there are lots of potential people, so don't try to accuse me of being jealous. I expect some action to be taken against H0lden, verbal warning would not clarify, judging by the complaints, he had already received lots of them.

PS. It's nice to have a discussion with you and hopefully we'll continue it. Perhaps other people (and maybe even crew members) may find some useful advices here.
(12-01-2010, 03:04 PM)Mark link Wrote: I'd suggest you to read my post which I submitted

(12-01-2010, 03:04 PM)Mark link Wrote: I clearly stated there that I should get an important feedback once I have appealed.

(12-01-2010, 03:04 PM)Mark link Wrote: My mother tongue is not English either, but I've been learning it correctly since the day I've started to learn and speak it.

(12-01-2010, 03:04 PM)Mark link Wrote: b) tell him to correct his all* mistakes
* all his

(12-01-2010, 03:04 PM)Mark link Wrote: Why do I have to choose option a considering once again the fact that the crew member who banned me should had* replied APPROPRIATELY, so I would have understood him?
* have

(12-01-2010, 03:04 PM)Mark link Wrote: So far I've seen examples like crew members have not been* encouraged at all.
* not being

(12-01-2010, 03:04 PM)Mark link Wrote: There are like plenty of people who can back-up my opinion,

(12-01-2010, 03:04 PM)Mark link Wrote: but then I realized that he has some potential.
* realised

Just sayin' :)
(12-01-2010, 04:32 PM)Jay link Wrote: Just sayin' :)
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...552AA94ZLR

Quote:Realise = correct in the UK, Australia, and other English-speaking nations using the English tyle of spelling.

Realize = American.

Since it's English, I'd say the version they use in England is correct lol, but the "z" is the accepted form in the US. It's also more phoenetic.

This is the same as with organise, maximise, etc, which are spelt with a Z in the US.
Just saying.

EDIT: Just found that not all your corrections are correct.