Hello There, Guest! Login or Register

Code Policy
Quote: link=topic=21350.msg251113#msg251113 date=1251350543]
Code:
if (strcmp (szPlayerChatMsg1, szPlayerChatMsg2))
{
    doSomething ();
}

I like to do it that way.

So do I.
My personal preference is closest to the K&R style nowadays, with spacing like in [Griffin]'s example:

Code:
public SomeCallback ()
{ // Opening function brace on a new line
    for (new i = 0; i < SLOTS; i++) { // Opening brace on the same line in control structures
        if (!IsPlayerConnected (i)) continue; // No braces around single statements such as these

SendClientMessage (i, COLOR_WHITE, "Hello there!");
        DoSomeMoreStuff ();
    }

// Note the use of empty lines for clarity
    return 1;
}

I'm fine with pretty much anything though, as long as everybody follows the same conventions.
I prefer something like this:

Code:
public bla()
{
    if (bla == 1) {
        callFunction();
    }
}

... which is the same as Pugwipe's example apart from that I don't use spaces before the parenthesis when calling functions.

Any way is fine for me (I'll adjust without bigger issues), and I do agree that deciding upon one way is a good idea.
We have created some guidelines based on the posted opinions. If you have any problems with this Policy, please post within 3 days.
http://trac.sa-mp.nl/lvp/wiki/CodePolicy

We'll create a topic about documentation tommorow, where we will go about how we documentate in code / trac.
[23:23:39] <@Jay> Instead of n for number, wouldn't i make more sense, for integer?
<&Fireburn> I would think i is more easy too

[]...

[23:24:40] <@Jay> And imo using a for array is a little over the top
<@Jay> It should depend on what each value in the array is worth, e.g, if it was numbers, iArray, or strings, szArray

[]...

<@Jay> Yes but it contains an integer. Instead of naming every array aPlayerBank, it would be much easier, and clearer to understand, to name them after the data they're storing
[23:29:44] <&Fireburn> I agree with that
[23:29:47] <&Fireburn> Wesley doesn't
(09-06-2009, 12:24 AM)Jay link Wrote: [23:23:39] <@Jay> Instead of n for number, wouldn't i make more sense, for integer?
<&Fireburn> I would think i is more easy too
Totally agreed. 'Integer' is much more specific, as numbers aren't necessarily integers.
We'll be using 'n', and not 'i', this is because pawn doesn't know a difference between an unsigned and a signed integer, it knows only one datatype, being 4 bytes.

An array will be indicated by an 'a', and not the type of its content, this is mainly because an array can contain different types by using an enum.
(09-07-2009, 07:30 PM)Wesley link Wrote: We'll be using 'n', and not 'i', this is because pawn doesn't know a difference between an unsigned and a signed integer, it knows only one datatype, being 4 bytes.
That's some of the biggest bs I've ever heard; signed or unsigned, it's still an integer. Going by your logic, floating point numbers should also be prefixed with 'n', they're numbers too, right?
I'd say you use "n" rather than "i", for the very simple reason there's a major advantage of doing so: iterators. There's a reason "i" is always used in for loops...

Use the "i"-prefix for iterators and indexes; iLoop, i and iPlayerId in loops.
Use the "n"-prefix for numbers: nBankValue, nPlayerFlags and nPlayerId in functions and/or methods.

I kindof agree with the datatype argument; in normal hungarian notation there's a difference between four major types;

[table]
[tr][td]Size[/td][td]unsigned[/td][td]signed[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]1 byte (char)[/td][td]uc[/td][td]c[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]2 bytes (short)[/td][td]us[/td][td]s[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]4 bytes (int)[/td][td]ui[/td][td]i[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]8 bytes (long)[/td][td]ul[/td][td]l[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Pawn always is 32-bits. While it may seem obvious to use "i", seeing the Pawn integers are signed as well, the fact that even arrays ("new variable[256]" actually is 1 KB in size) are integers makes it confusing. Everything would be "i". Therefore I'd strongly suggest to differentiate between "i" (indexes/iterators) and "n" (numeric values). After all, floats are nothing else than casted integers in pawn either way (then again, strictly seen they always are).
Thanks everyone for all reactions, based on everything said here we made this policy, which is final from now on.

http://trac.sa-mp.nl/lvp/wiki/CodePolicy