Las Venturas Playground
Idea! -You've got mail. - Printable Version

+- Las Venturas Playground (https://forum.sa-mp.nl)
+-- Forum: Main Talk (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Development (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Idea! -You've got mail. (/thread-2708.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Idea! -You've got mail. - Usagi - 09-10-2007

This would be pointless, but, somewhat cool too as well I think. I feel it would be somewhat nifty if that the people had like a mailing system. As in, you would go to a 'post office' or 'mailing station' and you could write mail to offline players that are registered members. You could do such as "/checkmail" or "/mail" and you could read mail other players have sent you. I don't know if it would be used even, but, I know that sometimes I wonder "What happened to ____" or my schedule will suddenly change and I never see _____ anymore because of time zone differences. This way me and blank can keep in touch! It may not be a amazing idea, I just thought it would be sorta cool to have. I only see two problems with it that I can think of:

1. The chat window is probably too small for a large message to be read easily, or maybe even at all. Possibly a way to fix this could be to have a different window come up or a character limit in messages.

2. This could take up much space on the server. Possibly limiting people to only certain amounts of messages a day, making it only possible to registered people, and/or (well, I had something else that I can't remember)...would prevent that from becoming a problem.

Oh well! Just an idea!

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - Badeend - 09-10-2007

Wow! This could actually be a brilliant idea. We have to think about how we're gonna build it, but as i see it now it shouldn't be a real problem. Great! :)

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - Axmish - 09-10-2007

Nice idea!
*O* *O*
Just make it so u can only leave like 1 message per player else ppl can spam offline messages :/

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - tBKwtWS - 09-10-2007

I like the post office idea very much and having to go to collect ur mail.
Maybe later you can have a mailbox at u prop, or move in with som1 else (lol)
Only i agree on the problems and think this will be very hard and some players might never care to check their mail.

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - Ben - 09-10-2007

(09-10-2007, 06:19 PM)tBKwtWS link Wrote:Only i agree on the problems and think this will be very hard and some players might never care to check their mail.
but then thats their problem.
You would have to put limits on it imo. Like 10 messages in your mailbox is allowed, or you can only send one every hour or something.

but in general i love this idea, and i think it would be better if  only people with their own houses could do it. That would also encourage people to donate!

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - tomozj - 09-10-2007

Messages are picked up on the hour every hour from certain points?

Then they are sent to the main post office, where they are available 15 minutes after being picked up, or at any post office 30 minutes after being picked up.

You pay $1000 to send a message, and admins can't just read them in the mainchat, so it's more private in a sense. This will allow you to send more private stuff, which won't be viewed to every admin ingame, but we'll still have access if we go to the post office (needed).

This sense of messages being "secret", opens up new possibilities, such as large gangs intercepting the messages in the main post office, meaning they aren't sent everywhere, and are viewable by the gang member, until someone else turns up to take them down.

What does this open up? Yet another gap for RP - post office protector. Anyone can do it, and they can be the unofficial 'guardians' of the post office. What do they get for protecting it? $500,000 per gang member killed, from the Las Venturas Major, or something fun. O+

Alot to script, but an excellent idea.  8)

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - tBKwtWS - 09-10-2007

The post should be private if you send som1 ur mail address and a gang intercepts it....
Any send at the office and receive unless we have a mailbox ability at props.
They should be robbing the bank not the post office, I like letters being confidential.
In fact if we want ease dropping why don't we reinstate SETI! (the big ear)

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - tomozj - 09-10-2007

(09-10-2007, 07:08 PM)tBKwtWS link Wrote:The post should be private if you send som1 ur mail address and a gang intercepts it....
Any send at the office and receive unless we have a mailbox ability at props.
They should be robbing the bank not the post office, I like letters being confidential.

I like letters being confidential, but always irl some stupid gang busts the post office and steals the letters. :+

This is possible for the bank too I guess, and if this is accepted then it could be moved onto robbing the bank for the same thing, where people online @ LVP will actually lose money from their banks. O+

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - Badeend - 09-10-2007

(09-10-2007, 06:27 PM)benbmyers link Wrote:but then thats their problem.
You would have to put limits on it imo. Like 10 messages in your mailbox is allowed, or you can only send one every hour or something.

but in general i love this idea, and i think it would be better if  only people with their own houses could do it. That would also encourage people to donate!

These restrictions might be incredibly annoying for people who want to contact someone who doesn't have the right to receive any mail. So this feature should be allowed for anyone.

Re: Idea! -You've got mail. - Ben - 09-10-2007

(09-10-2007, 07:49 PM)Badeend link Wrote:These restrictions might be incredibly annoying for people who want to contact someone who doesn't have the right to receive any mail. So this feature should be allowed for anyone.
Well. What if, you have your own house, you can send mail and it goes to your house. But if you dont you can also send mail but it goes to the 'post office' thing and what other people were saying and it can be read by others, like gang members reading it.