Las Venturas Playground
[Serious Discussion] Religion - Printable Version

+- Las Venturas Playground (https://forum.sa-mp.nl)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [Serious Discussion] Religion (/thread-26936.html)

Re: [Serious Discussion] Religion - STyL4 - 04-03-2012

The thing what many people mix is that they say that Religion is same as Institution. Religion didn't brainwash ANYONE in their childhood and neither did their parents or whatever but it can either be Institution's influence. Saying Institution = Religion makes you close-minded person, and I myself am not Religious because of family (they're all atheists) or whatever but because I didn't want to be as one-sided back then, and it was at first psychosocial motive at first but then it gets into historical, even scientifical, curiousity etc. Many people just reject to know more about it because of the things Institution (Church) did in the past which I do not support. But by studying the connection between 1 religion and the historical side a bit more you see the real charm of it which you can reject or either accept it and Maddolis I doubt some known scientists were particularly gullible.

Re: [Serious Discussion] Religion - durrrrr - 04-03-2012

(04-03-2012, 05:43 PM)STyL4 link Wrote: The thing what many people mix is that they say that Religion is same as Institution. Religion didn't brainwash ANYONE in their childhood and neither did their parents or whatever but it can either be Institution's influence. Saying Institution = Religion makes you close-minded person, and I myself am not Religious because of family (they're all atheists) or whatever but because I didn't want to be as one-sided back then, and it was at first psychosocial motive at first but then it gets into historical, even scientifical, curiousity etc. Many people just reject to know more about it because of the things Institution (Church) did in the past which I do not support. But by studying the connection between 1 religion and the historical side a bit more you see the real charm of it which you can reject or either accept it and Maddolis I doubt some known scientists were particularly gullible.
There are parents who brainwash their children, don't say that there are none. Oh, and well-known scientists from the late Middle Ages, Renaissance and Baroque don't count.

Re: [Serious Discussion] Religion - [SWK]Nemesis - 04-03-2012

[Image: Gh3j6.png]

Re: [Serious Discussion] Religion - Maddolis - 04-04-2012

Plenty of parents indoctrinate their kids.
My mother's religious, so she took me with her to church. My parents put me in a Catholic primary school. I had the institutions of the church and a school making me religious, along with, to a lesser extent, my mum. She's fair and knows that Creationism's a load of crap, but without all of the above there'd be no reason for me to have been religious at any stage of my life.

I saw an interesting speech by Daniel Dennett the other day on youtube, listing reasons for believing in a god. He went so far as to say that many religious adults don't necessarily believe in a god, but like the idea of believing in god for many reasons. I wouldn't doubt that I know many people in that category.

Good Reasons for "Believing" in God - Dan Dennett, AAI 2007

Re: [Serious Discussion] Religion - STyL4 - 04-04-2012

You understood me wrong, Religion didn't brainwash parents neither their kids** So it's not Religion the one that's doing it.

And no durrrr it's not the well-known scientists from there only, we also got modern ones, you can find some in Quantum physics

Re: [Serious Discussion] Religion - Tuism - 04-04-2012

(04-03-2012, 01:33 PM)durrrrr link Wrote: Exactly, but then the question is, should one believe in God just for his own psychological safety? Just to believe in something?

I really hope it was that simple. It's not a matter of just believing in something, these people want to believe in the truth. And since the Islamic truth is not enough for them nor the scientific truth, they just go crazy or convince themselves that one of these two beliefs is the truth.

I can rephrase your question like this: Should one believe in evolution/disbelieve in God just for his own psychological safety?

(04-03-2012, 01:40 PM)Maddolis link Wrote: Muslims tend to apply much more pressure on relatives to be Muslims. I wouldn't say that they're genuinely theistic, but merely saying so, so that they're not outcast from their family or friends.

I completely agree, I know some Atheists who are just pretend to be Muslims because they're afraid of being killed or being branded as heretics.

btw durrrr, if scientists agreed that there's no intelligent God in this universe it doesn't mean it's the truth.

(04-04-2012, 04:28 PM)M-Jeeli link Wrote: I can rephrase your question like this: Should one believe in evolution/disbelieve in God just for his own psychological safety?

Yes part of it is psychological, but it all starts with curiosity and if you're not one-sided person you'll get the Historical view of it aswell and science will interef. At the end, it's more than just a psychology.

You can pretend to be Religious but that doesn't mean you are, ex-Christian for example that is now Atheist was never really 100 % believer and the guys being killed or being branded as heretics live near a really fucked up institution that deserves to go by their belief to hell and stay there because they're doing what Religion forbids them.

Re: [Serious Discussion] Religion - Gaahl - 04-04-2012

I cannot understand why people always want an answer to the questions which got none, like why we're here, what originated us, does god really exist, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a superficial person as I have been asking these kind of questions to myself more than once... but I know that neither me or anyone else will ever get a correct answer, so I might aswell stop thinking about it.

There are plenty of unproven answers, such as creationism or any other religion, but none really seem to be plausible... an avenged almighty god was a good way to keep populations under control many years ago (when most of the religions were born) and some religions still do this nowadays, so I'd rather believe in nothing...actually the most convincing thing I've ever read/heard about believing into god was Spinoza's philosophy, in which he said that it's actually more convenient to believe in god since if he really exists you'll go into paradise while if he doesn't you won't lose anything

edit: Pascal, my bad

As I said, you can be one-sided because you have enough arguments for your self but you can also rotate yourself to another "side". I suggest you to get deeper into Quantum Physics and u'll be more than impressed. It's not just the fairytale behind it. If there were proofs  behind everything it wasn't Religion then.

Re: [Serious Discussion] Religion - [NB]Zaibatsu - 04-05-2012

[Image: political-pictures-dalai-lama-desmond-tu...erance.jpg]