Las Venturas Playground
Modern warfare 2 - Printable Version

+- Las Venturas Playground (https://forum.sa-mp.nl)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forum.sa-mp.nl/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Modern warfare 2 (/thread-18340.html)

Re: Modern warfare 2 - Alpha - 08-04-2009

:D:D:D

Re: Modern warfare 2 - Sean3 - 08-04-2009

We shall all hail MW2, cause once we was waitin for GTA4, it got delayed and we cried, turned out to be shit. So lets hope they dont delay MW2.

_O_ _O_ _O_ _O_ _O_ _O_ _O_ _O_ _O_ _O_ _O_ _O_

Re: Modern warfare 2 - Sander - 08-10-2009

50 Cent is 1 of the voice actors in MW2.. Dunno of that is a good thing, or a bad thing...
http://kotaku.com/5332780/modern-warfare-2-features-cameo-from-50-cent-and-more

Re: Modern warfare 2 - 8Ball - 08-10-2009

:O

Re: Modern warfare 2 - weeyin - 08-11-2009

The GAME store just down the road from me has already had 550 pre orders ONLY from that store and theres like 80-90 days to go

Re: Modern warfare 2 - Nonzero - 08-11-2009

i want it

Re: Modern warfare 2 - Sander - 08-12-2009

(08-11-2009, 09:32 PM)weeyin link Wrote: The GAME store just down the road from me has already had 550 pre orders ONLY from that store and theres like 80-90 days to go

That's like.. a lot :D
Even for a large city, since I'm sure other shops will also sell the game, so.... damn, that's a lot :D

Re: Modern warfare 2 - weeyin - 08-12-2009

(08-12-2009, 02:23 PM)Sander link Wrote: That's like.. a lot :D
Even for a large city, since I'm sure other shops will also sell the game, so.... damn, that's a lot :D
Yeah ano and i stay in a town and the town centre is dying

Re: Modern warfare 2 - Maka - 08-13-2009

So, anyone heard yet about the game's price? I've heard about it and decided to check BASHandSlash forums:

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=690&Itemid=111

Quote:MW2 and Activision was making the news earlier this month for all the wrong reasons. I am sure you have now all read about the news that Activision has upped the recommended/suggested retail price (SRP) of the soon-to-be-released MW2. For example, in the UK the price went from the typical £44.99 to £54.99 for a console version. Activision cited high development costs and a weaker pound for the hike (source).

In the States, the basic PC version has an SRP of $60...ten bucks more than CoD4. Here are Best Buy's current not so best prices: MW2@BB

Many financial analysts are convinced that the increase is actually a "test" by Activision to see whether the marketplace will stomach a price rise. Activision will apparently be watching carefully for negative reactions and gauge their next step accordingly. Activision is not alone in carefully watching whether consumers will just swallow the increase in price point. Microsoft is but one game power-house that has followed in Activision's footsteps and increased the price of some of their more popular games (source).

The "weaker pound" excuse does not seem to make sense internationally. For example, here in Canada, the $90 CAD price for the hardened $70 CAD for the basic edition of the console game is a shocker. This exhorbitant price being arrived at despite the skyrocketing Canadian dollar relative to the slumping U.S. greenback. The basic game is ten bucks higher than what CoD4 was pegged at on release.

Clearly, the marketing mavens at Acti-Blizzard know that people are weathering the recession by eschewing travel and simply making do at home with video games. The gaming biz is booming and Activision's execs, the good businessmen they are, are simply taking advantage of the situation - as their shareholders would expect.

Call it a test, or call it an experiment, the reality is that the price increase that we will face is simply due to Activision trying to squeeze as much juice out of this prize watermelon as they can. Or it might be that, as garandx says on a post over at TGN (source): '...on the PC-side of things, Activision might have factored the price of the map-packs into the game'.

This might be one positive way to look at it. After all, it appears we will be getting two map-packs out of IW when all is said and done.

So...ten more dollars, for what will go down as possibly the game of the decade, does not sound like much and should not necessarily warrant a strong customer backlash. Um...not unless someone at head-office says something rediculously stupid that simply rubs salt into the gaping wound in our pockets where we used to have our wallets.

Enter Bobby Kotick, Activision's CEO, and a man not known for customer sympathy. Kotick let it slip recently that, if he had his druthers, he would be even more aggressive with pricing: “You know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further", he said the other day (source).

In the UK, gamers have responded to this sleight with an unsurprising, and ultimately futile, gesture: they have started an online petition (source). I use the word "futile" to describe this grassroots effort due to the fact that on-line polls typically do absolutely nothing to dissuade their targets. Here is the anti-price-hikers' position:

TO: Activision

As the "biggest entertainment launch of all time" approaches, you're increasingly making your fanbase more angry. Your recent moves on the business side are head scratching and completely apauling (sic). Tony Hawk peripherals to start, PC and UK price hikes and ridiculously overpriced collectors editions for MW2. Gamers were left scratching their heads wondering why? Than your CEO decided to further anger your customers with this quote "And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further." I believe we are in what we call a "recession." What the consumer needs is not more expensive items, but less expensive, which we're obviously not screaming for you to do. As people we speak with our wallets as we know you wont hear our words. Everyone who signs this petition disagrees with your approach and your smug attitude. The undersigned agree not to purchase your game at full retail value. We instead will either choose to A.) not purchase MW2. B.)Purchase only in used form allowing no revenue for you. C.)Import from a cheaper country. This may not seem like much of a threat, but the internet is a large place and your wallets may seem a little lighter come Christmas time. Thank you.

The price hike has not fazed everyone in the CoD Community. Spacepig, from OpenWarfaremod.com had this to say on a recent post:

"I am so tired of people that play cod 10 hours a day bitching about the price increase on mw2. $59 at the bar = 30 minutes. Get over it."

Perhaps, Spacepig...perhaps.

Bad Timing

While I don't want to bitch and whine about business decisions that are based wholly on market forces (and zero percent on what's good for the community), I am disturbed over Activision's timing and the cavalier statements made by its leadership.

Consumers, especially those in the U.S., have recently been hit hard by a very deep recession. So, for Activision to doubly-hit loyal customers with what is essentially a "success tax", amidst this economic climate, is scandalously insensitive.

While they claim excessive development costs is one reason for the increase in price, Activision does not appear to have done much to mitigate its costs and has simply passed them on to its consumer base...us. Remember that every time fourzerotwo tweets that he's jetted off to New York or London.

A missed opportunity
While Kotick never seems to miss an opportunity to make his company sound like a bunch of prolific money gougers, what Activision could have done to endear itself to the community would have been, for example, to advertise the sale of  the MP PC game as a separate entity from the SP - at a much reduced price. Forget the Hardened or Prestige edition...how about an "online-only" edition? An MP-only MW2 would allow gamers from countries with weak currencies to purchase MW2 legally and cheaply (given that it would consist only of the MP version of the game).

Not only would this give Activision a positive news spin...it could also reduce piracy and allow many in poorer parts of the world to legally join the rest of us online.

Where does this leave us and what can we do?

#1 Look for online bargains

In the UK, the SRP has not made its way yet to some online stores. As of a few days ago, Amazon and Play.com were still listing the game below forty-five pounds.

For example, if you are shopping for the PS3...go to http://www.argos.co.uk: currently it's £48.99; however, as of a few days ago, put in GAME20 as the code in the payment page and you get twenty pounds off.

ASDA (in the UK) is selling the XBox version at £44.91 with free delivery.

#2 Write Activision with your thoughts

I don't expect online petitions to be effective...however, Activision is apparently keeping tabs on whether consumers will just roll over on news of a price hike. So, who knows? Filling it in can't hurt I suppose. But note: there were ten-thousand names on the petition recently ...versus the millions who will buy the game regardless of the price increase.

As well, it seems like the anti-price-hike voices have already been drowned out by the roar of MW2 enthusiasts who are bursting at the seems to play the game.

Personally, I think that a tersely worded email to Activision or IW (reference) will go farther than an online petition.

...or tell us your opinion: Comments

...oh and for the number crunchers out there...here's a little something from Activision-Blizzard's Second Quarter stats: the predicted outlook for the next two quarters (this should make you feel much better about paying the extra $10):

Activision Blizzard Outlook
For the Quarter Ending September 30, 2009 and Year Ending December 31, 2009
GAAP to Non-GAAP Reconciliation Amounts in millions, except per share data)

Outlook for        Outlook for
Quarter Ending    Quarter Ending
September 30,      December 31,
2009              2009
---------------    ---------------
Net Revenues (GAAP)

$680          $4,050

Yup, that's a predicted $4 billion dollar end for the last three months of the year...mmmh, I wonder what would make Acti-Blizz's balance sheet bounce like that?

Re: Modern warfare 2 - Sander - 08-13-2009

tl:dr :+
Pre-ordered it for a normal price anyway, being € 34.99.